Upgrading Mac Pro 3.1 (early 2008) still worth it ?

Hi

I was wondering if it´s still worth to upgrade my mac pro 3.1 (early 2008) ..... or I should sell it and buy maybe the mac pro 2010 or anything like that...

my system is

2,8 Ghz 8-Core

8 gb 800 Mhz DDR2 ram

Ati radeon 2600 (i think it slows everything down.... )

system HD: WD Velocyraptor 10000kb/s (320 GB)

second HD: WD hd 7200kb/s (1 TB)

third HD: WD hd (it´s slow, the one that apple built in mac pro)

SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.8

to be honest I think my mac is too slow... especially loading from HD or something takes time and the beachball appears often... I mainly work with Logic and its not really nice.... bad performance... lags and so on...

I really need another video card.... in logic pro everything lags and I think its because of the slow video card...... also I think my RAM is too slow (800mhz)

and I thinking about getting a SSD Samsung HD and remove the slow third HD apple built in...

what do you think? this would be not cheap upgrade for me.... and I think about selling my mac pro 2008 and getting a newer one... from 2010 or anything like that...

thank you guys!

• 1 month later...
The 2010 Mac Pros are around 1600 for a quad core and 2200 for an eight core. Still lots of dough.

Yeah. Anybody want to chime in.. what kind of benefit are we looking at if one would go through with this update?. I don't really want to add more memory to my old mac since it's pretty expensive. I would also love to have SSD for OS. Or should i just wait, if theres going to be new Mac Pro ?. I guess we're$&@+%, if there's not going to be new model :-D.

My Mac Pro is very similar to the OP, but with 10GB of RAM, 4x 7200RPM drives & the ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card. However, I have no real issues and the only thing that grinds is bounce downs on plugin intensive projects.

Since I do a lot of sample intensive work, I've been playing with the idea of putting some SSD drives in. I have an SSD in my MacBookPro and it sails. SSDs would not be a bad investment, since they could be reused in a future machine or array.

But, it doesn't feel like a good idea to upgrade to a new Mac Pro. Largely because my system is solid and performs OK.

I have that same MacPro, with 16gb of RAM, four internal drives and two DVD-R drives. Logic doesn't lag, hiccup, choke, crash, freeze or do any oddball stuff, and I run a lot of VI's (Apple, NI, Plogue, etc).

I've done some thinking about upgrading and frankly can't see the value in a newer machine. This one runs like a beast. I might swap out my Samples drive for an SSD, but not until they make one big enough (500Gb at least) that doesn't cost so dang much.

My feeling is that if Logic isn't running great on that machine, then you've got some other problem.... slow drives, some driver or plug in that screws things up, etc. It's certainly not the hardware.

I have the same MP running snow leopard and no issues. I have 10gb of ram and the 8800 video card. Installed an ssd about a year ago making it feel like an entire new computer. Os and software are on the ssd with project files to a wd black drive 7200. If its that sluggish and you've never done it, maybe it's time for a nice reformat? Being that logic isn't visually demanding, I can't see the video card being a problem.

I run projects in logic with 40+ tracks , waves and ik plugins.

Why a macpro then? Is it that its upgradable and will last more years? # of hard drives? Why not a iMac? Ive been researching because although I have a macbook having a desktop apple would be nice for screen size. My 2012 Macbook seems to clobber logic so Im stumped on the need to have a mac pro besides the hd. Even considered the thuderbolt but then again an iMac wouldnt be that much more so what is the big thing on Mac pro?

In addition to allowing for massive amounts of task-dedicated storage, a MacPro can use PCI cards, like MOTU'S 424, the UAD-2 cards, etc, for additional coprocessing and I/O options. Also, an 8-core MacPro likely allows for greater CPU loads than either a MacBook or iMac, has more USB ports, allows for multiple optical drives....

I couldn't run my studio on an iMac... I'm using every port and drive bay in my MacPro and half the PCI slots.

Historically, the reasons for a Mac Pro have been,

1. Fastest processors & multicore processing

2. RAM capacity (iMac still only goes up 16GB

3. Multiple drives (I run System, Project, Sample & Backup drives in mine)

4. PCI Card expansion (for plugins like UAD, Digital I/O like MADI or Symphony, or high end video capture)

5. Multiple CD/DVD drives (faster rip & burn)

6. Stability & upgradability

Thunderbolt will change the dynamic, bringing faster external hard-drives and PCI expansion chassis. And, the latest, top spec iMac is amazingly powerful. The longer I hold onto my Mac Pro, the more I wonder if it will be my last tower.

But, in the real world, this all depends on the kind of projects you run. The bigger your track counts, the more tracks you record at any one time and the larger the sample libraries you use, the more there is still an argument for buying a Mac Pro - for now.