Logic Pro 9 template keeps crashing

Greendale

I have recently been converted to Mac after years of PC nightmares and have logic pro 9 on a 4 gig macbook OS lion 10. I spent 3 days getting a great template with Acoustic guitar and vocal setting to record live with NI guitar rig 5 used as a plug in, it worked fine until today when it just keeps crashing and I can only quit by hold down the off button. This is a bought and paid for plug in, is there anyway I can get it to work. I have stayed offline since originally loading things on, are there any updates that could help? If I post an error report could that provide clues? Would really appreciate any help you could give.

Check for NI updates... using the NI's Service Center software you had to install to correctly register GR5

Also, according to your sig, I noted you are running Logic in 32bit mode? Any reason why (other than the fact you only have 4GB of mem) instead of using Logic in 64bit mode?

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the help! I managed to replicate and replace my template including GR5 and its seems to be working again, finger X . Not sure what the problem was before. It may have been GR5 or something else. GR has been updated. As for running at Logic at 64 bit, how can I tell if that's possible, how do you change it to 64 bit, what are the main advantages and would I be unable to use previous projects without changing back to 32.

Thanks again,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the previous help however I am still having problems with Logic crashing. Because of my small internal hard drive I save to an external one. The problems happens when I want to 'save as' with a project, or if I try to save as a template after I have recorded on it. The software simply crashes and I have to 'force quit' the software. It's a problem I can work around but if I want to develop a sketch of a project have to remember it and then rework in fresh project, not ideal at all, Hope someone has someone has some ideas why this is happening, thanks, Dan

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I am saving to a partition onto my ex HD via USB which is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), the other partition is formatted to FAT-32 to save PC related stuff. My system hard drive is 107.66 gb with 11 gb of free space. Also, on another matter, I want to split a track up every 2 bars. I am currently selecting all, typing the bar number... 1, 3, 5 etc into the project time display and then hitting a shortcut to split at the playhead. Is there an easier way of doing this? A tab key perhaps? I also thought resetting logic to factory setting might help the problem with crashing. Am just trying to find out how to do this, hope you can help, thanks guys, Dan

I woud be suspicious of the external hard drive. I never use partitions, rather a drive formatted for Mac, another for PC. Drives are pretty cheap..... Also, your system drive is most likely too full, you're approaching the minimum 10% free mark, some people say leave as much as 20% free.

Regarding cutting regions every two bars, use the scissors tool. Go two bars into a region, Hold down the Option key and click with the scissors tool. It should divide the region into two bar segments.

Everything you're doing here is not recommended:

I am saving to a partition onto my ex HD via USB which is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), the other partition is formatted to FAT-32 to save PC related stuff. My system hard drive is 107.66 gb with 11 gb of free space

Don't use USB 2.0 for saving projects, it's too slow. Use firewire 800, usb 3.0 or thunderbolt.

Don't use partitions, they make the hard drive work more and slow it down.

Logic does NOT like Fat-32 drives, it gives you the spinning ball.

Don't fill up your drive, leave 20% free.

Get a dedicated firewire 800 drive for your Logic projects.

Thanks for the feedback. I think my HD is USB 3.0 but I will try removing partition, can I do that and still keep the data in the Mac OS Extended partition. (Where my projects are). As for freeing up system HD, I can't understand why it's so full. I have logic 9, battery 3, Miroslav Philarmonic, Guitar Rig 5 and some samples on it and virtually nothing else as it is used purely for music, I'm not sure how they're taking up so much space... anyway, will check that. I hope the advice solves the problem. Not sure why I only have it when I 'save as' though, is working OK with projects saved on ex HD that have just been saved but when I try to save as a different name it seems to get confused at that point. Will post a reply when I know more, cheers, Dan

Thanks for the feedback. I think my HD is USB 3.0 but I will try removing partition, can I do that and still keep the data in the Mac OS Extended partition. (Where my projects are)

Dan, you need another drive to put the folders of the mac partition on temporarily because you cannot remove a partition. You have to create a 1 new partition that covers the whole drive in Disk Utility and that means you erase everything. No way around it.

• 1 month later...
Quick question. How do you intend to connect a USB3 drive to your computer? Hopefully you have one of the very new (mid 2012) Apple laptops that has a USB3 connector otherwise you will have to use the USB2 connector and then it will go back down to USB2 speeds which are too slow...