Controlling effects on different channels with controller

Mima_kojima

Basically I want to be able to change different effect parameters on different tracks while playing a track back with my controller but it will only do it for the selected track. eg change reverb wet/dry knob for guitar track and distortion wet/dry know on drum track while the song is playing!

Why???????

if you're doing stuff live in real time your limited to two hands and one brain. Failing that you can automate your changes so if you want to alter the cut off frequency, for example, just record that action and it will repeat it in playback. It won't be you doing it live but now your in the dilemma of two hands again.

It can be done with Logic and it's easy, only I have forgotten the exact procedure. In the controller assignments editor, your current controller is most likely configured to "Channel Strip / Selected Track" which has the net result of your controller only having an effect on the track you have currently selected. There is however a way of hardcoding a particular channel strip to that controller instead, but I'm not near a workstation so I can't remember how it's done. Have a snoop around the drop down menu. Edited by peachboy

Okay so I'm in the studio....

Go to Controller Assignments (Expert View).

Find the controller assignment in question. (e.g Space Dsn: Reverb Output) ... or if not already present, set one up as you would do normally.

In the parameters box to the right, change the "Selected Track" option to "Index" and in the numerical field beside it, enter the number of the channel strip you want to modify, as counted from the left side of your mixer. (i.e Go in to the mixer and count the channel strips from the left. N.B make sure your mixer is set to ALL when counting.)

This should work. Bear in mind the indices will change value if the number of tracks changes. There are other ways of doing it....for example exclusively with software instruments, audio tracks, auxes....etc

If you want to do this in live performance, don't use controller assignments, they are too volatile. instead, open Logics environment window and hard wire the port from your controller to the channel strips you want to control parameters for. Plugin parameters required "fader" messages, so you will need to do some transforms. To discover the required message, cable a monitor object to the channel strips output. Move the parameter and you will see the appropriate fader message.

Basically I want to be able to change different effect parameters on different tracks while playing a track back with my controller but it will only do it for the selected track. eg change reverb wet/dry knob for guitar track and distortion wet/dry know on drum track while the song is playing! Why???????

How are you able to make changes to your guitar and drums while playing your instrument?

I tried changing 'selected track' to 'index' but it gets rid of the parameter, and when you put the parameter back in it changes it back to 'selected track'. My project doesn't involve guitars and drums, they were just used as examples. I have genome midi sequencer on the iPad playing beats and various synths and a Nintendo DS playing the Korg DS-10 synth going into a Boss SL-20 guitar pedal with the left and the right being on separate channels with those going to one aux channel. I then want to control effects and synth parameters using a Korg nano kontrol. I wanted to be able to jam stuff out and hopefully play live. I guess Logic isn't really designed for live use so yesterday I bought main stage. I just need to work out how to use that know.