Programming Cycle Mode

goalexey

Hi,

I often perform live running optimized tracks in Logic. I am looking into some more looping possibilities.

I was wondering if there is a way to program for the cycle mode to happen at certain spots of the track.

For instance, I start the track, and once it reaches a certain spot, it goes into cycle mode for 2 bars or so. Then I can "un-cycle" it manually, and then it will happen again at some other spot. Would anyone know if there is a way to do that?

Thanks a lot.

Alexey

Thank you very much for help...I am just not sure what any of that means.

Could you please explain in more detail how I could set this up?

How would I set up a MIDI message for a key command in the first place?

I use Axiom 49 as my MIDI controller (not sure if this helps).

How would I set up a MIDI message for a key command in the first place?

Open the key commands editor. (⌥K)

Search for "Cycle Mode" in the search field. (Top right of the dialog).

Select Cycle Mode from the list of available commands.

Press the button marked "Learn New Assignment".

Hit an unassigned button on your MIDI controller.

If that's what "MIDI message for a key command" meant, then I have it assigned already long time ago on Axiom 49 via Direct Link.

My question is, is it possible already to have a certain "unlit" cycle region ready for a couple of measures, so when it gets there, I can just press cycle mode and it will "lit up" and start cycling. I could do it on the fly of course, once the file is playing, but if I am at the venue where I can't see the screen very well, it would really help to have it already sort of there.

OK, of course I can have one ready by just selecting it before, making cycle mode inactive and saving the file with certain region selected. What if I wanted to have several of such preselected cycle regions ready in a file?

Ah I see what you're trying to do.

Yes. The best way is to use markers, already tailored to the looping regions you require.

Then use a handy little command called "Set Locators by Marker and Enable Cycle", which can be assigned to another button on your controller.

You could have your cycle on and your project paused (press pause in the transport bar). Then to start playback, press pause again. Playback will start from where the playhead is then start cycling once it reaches the right locator.

Another way would be to click-hold the play button in your transport bar and DEselect "Play cycle". Then you'll get the same behavior by using play rather than pause.