Did I go deaf for a couple of weeks?

rhys

Ive just listened to a track that I did about 2 months ago and it really does sound terrible, the eq is really weird, it sounds like its playing through a plastic tube the equalisation is so off, but I have made tracks in the past that sound fine.

In fact I believe I went through a period of this and I can't figure out why it happened or what caused it. I have had my room treated but its got nothing to do with it because some of my really old tracks sound way better than this one.

Has anyone on here had this weird phenomena happen to them? Could this happen again. When I used to DJ years ago I had this saying that I would use called "record shop ears", "Oh can't believe I bought that I had my record shop ears on".

Basically all it means is when I used to be in a record shop listening to tracks some of them would sound awesome but when you get them home you realise they wasn't really that good. Could this be a similar thing if so how can I stop it happing again and how can I tell its happening?

You may have been lucky mixing the older tracks and they translate pretty well, or you may have suffered some fatiguing when you were mixing the track that sounds bad.

Either way it is too late now. You could try remixing and see (listen to) what happens.

Some people will sit there for hours without an 'ear break' and do not realize the ears have adjusted to a sub quality mix. Give your ears a break and/or double check the mix on quality headphones. Giving the song a break for a few days can help too because you can listen to it at a later time with fresh, rested ears.