Hearing metronome clicks on a recording?

This has happened on the past 2 projects I've recorded...I can faintly hear the metronome clicks at quieter parts in certain regions...I'm just wondering how it's possible that my mic picked up the sound of a metronome that was going through a pair of headphones? It can be remedied with a noise gate, but I'm still just curious as to why it's happening.

Thanks!

I'm just wondering how it's possible that my mic picked up the sound of a metronome that was going through a pair of headphones?

Basically, a diaphragm or ribbon vibrates, and its vibration is converted by an electromagnet into electrical energy, which is sent to your sound card to be converted to 1s and 0s that represent the click of the metronome.

Sarcastic answer aside, professional microphones can very easily pick up the sound of a metronome through a pair of headphones. Turn down your mic gain, turn down your headphones while recording, don't use the metronome, or deal with it such as with your noise gate.

Please don't be offended :) ... was the Click enabled on the Transport when auditioning the directly recorded file?

In the default state, the Klopfgeist Click channel strip is Solo Safe.

So, if you solo a file to audition it and the Click is enabled, you WILL still hear the click.

If you mute the Click channel strip and solo the recorded file, do you still hear the click?

What are you using for the Click...Klopfgeist or external MIDI click?

I wasn't even aware that you could make a click channel to be honest...that would be helpful, as the musicians I've recorded with often say they can't hear the mix as loudly as they'd like to (next thing to learn for me is how to make a headphone/monitor mix). I do still hear the click if the audio track is solo'd...I can only hear it during very quiet parts or black space in the track, so I usually just trim the region and use a noise gate to try to get rid of the click. However, I recorded a bass track right now, and no matter what I said the gate to, I can still hear the click...meaning that if I set it too high, it affects the sound of the actual bass (unless the signal chain of plugins could somehow fix this problem? Signal chain is another topic that I'm interested in learning more about as well.

When your recording direct do you have the volume on your monitors super loud? It would have to be pretty loud for the click to come through the guitar/bass pickups but it is possible lol.

Where were pickups mentioned? I believe he's recording with a microphone. A decent quality mic arranged in a not-so-decent way could easily pick up noise from headphones that are nearby and leaking sound.

Here's another strange thing...I recorded directly into my interface and I could still hear the metronome click, which doesn't even make sense if there was nothing to pick up the sound? Confused :?:

Right. It doesn't make sense to me that I heard the click even though there wasn't a mic to pick it up.

Macavity, your situation should be fairly easy to troubleshoot with a series of simple tests.

I recorded directly into my interface and I could still hear the metronome click, which doesn't even make sense if there was nothing to pick up the sound? Confused :?:

Do you mean you plugged an electric guitar straight into your interface, and you can hear the click on its recording?

If that's what you meant, then try those two tests:

1) What if you unplug the electric guitar and record silence. Can you hear the click in the silent recording?

2) What if you unplug the headphones and record your electric guitar (therefore without listening to Logic at all). Can you hear the click in the guitar recording?

Macavity, your situation should be fairly easy to troubleshoot with a series of simple tests.

I recorded directly into my interface and I could still hear the metronome click, which doesn't even make sense if there was nothing to pick up the sound? Confused :?:

Do you mean you plugged an electric guitar straight into your interface, and you can hear the click on its recording?

If that's what you meant, then try those two tests:

1) What if you unplug the electric guitar and record silence. Can you hear the click in the silent recording?

2) What if you unplug the headphones and record your electric guitar (therefore without listening to Logic at all). Can you hear the click in the guitar recording?

1.) No.

2.) No.

So I guess the mic really must have been picking it up from the headphones then, right?

Are they open-backed or closed-backed phones?

Closed-back I believe.

Find out for sure if they're open-backed or closed-backed.

Go to the manufacturer's website and look at the description.

If they're open-backed, they will indeed bleed into a mic.

I have both types and I always use the closed-backs for tracking and have never had a problem with click bleed.

if you liten to the beat that comes in at around the 4:30 mark, under the second half of the loop you can hear the pulsing of the metronome...this project contained 100 tracks, all softsynths...the only thing connected to my apogee duet were my headphones :shock:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Yup, nothing wrong with your audio routing el-bo, so.... I don't know, not sure what the issue could have been in your case. :?

actually, just realised that's the wrong one...this must have been a new empty template to drag in all the audio file to organise then do a final mix...

sorry, it's been about 18 months since i worked on this

i'll try to track down the project where i was editing the drums