Sounds/soundkits

being that i am not a professional producer, therefore i don't always have a lot of money to spend, are there any free or downloadable soundkits out there that anyone could recommend? also, if there are not, how exactly do you really get going with music production without having a descent set of sounds? as far as im concerned these days if you have a hot sound thats all it takes to make a catchy record.

When I was first getting going with Logic, and wanted to build up sounds (I was looking to reproduce 80's sounds specifically) and stumbled onto a MainStage concert that was on eBay, loaded with sounds that made up a few dozen songs from way back when. The price was right ($20), so I took a chance. The patches were exactly what I was looking for - but more importantly, the way he had created his sounds, and setup his MainStage "Concert" was a great template for me. I went through and saved off his channel strips, and created my own library of sounds, and ultimately a few Logic templates which serve as the basis for everything I do in Logic. All of his patches were created using the synths that come with Logic. (This is an important point -- Logic comes with some very powerful synths). So - what started out as a hunt for a few sounds, turned into a tremendous learning experience, and the basis for most everything I create in Logic. The sounds were (are) nice. I have since added a load of other AU plugins to my templates, applying most of the same channel strip core settings from my first templates to anything I add/create. I am rambling a bit -- but my point is, you will ultimately learn to construct sounds, and build up Logic templates. Learn the synths that come with Logic. They are extremely capable instruments. IMO - it is the best / cheapest way to build up sounds, and learn Logic (short of a book).

The $20 I spent - was probably the best investment I have made in Logic. Breaking apart the MainStage concert and moving the patches to Logic was singularly, the best learning experience (outside of Davids book :) ), that I have had. The same guy has a "2000 and beyond" MainStage concert he sells. I picked that up - mostly because I felt i owed it to him, for all i have gained from the first one. I have no affiliation with the guy who sells these MainStage concerts -- just grateful for finding them, and thought I would pass on my experience. You can google "ebay Logic Pro Famous Sounds" and get a hit to his two concerts..

joe

Some specifics will help get your question answered:

What genre/s of music are you making?

How are you making them (recording, software instruments, software samplers)?

Anything in particular you are looking for?

Im looking to make hip hop,rnb,dance. im using an m audio 49 key pro control keyboard

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say there's already plenty included in Logic to make that style of music. It may take some time to be able to process those sounds to get them exactly how you want, but it's more than possible.

In what way do you feel you don't have a "decent" set of sounds? Drum samples? Synths?

I feel alot of rap songs have very unique synths in them and yes logic has some great synth plugins but compared to those of native instruments and etc. i feel they are inadequate. also i feel the horns and strings stock in logic are rather weak