Recording memory to different hard drive [SOLVED]

camredfield

When recording in logic pro 9 it says I have around 68 minutes remaining of recording time on my current drive. I have two empty hard drives installed in the mac at 1tb each and was wondering how to record using their memory. I've tried changing the recording path to the empty hard drives but it still gives me 68 minutes.

I'm using 96khz, but that's not the problem. Even if I was recording at 44khz I have around 128 minutes in stereo, and shouldn't I have more if I'm recording onto a drive with 1tb free? And even if I change the recording path to record on the empty hard drive I still have the exact same amount of time.

So, I'm just wondering, is 68 minutes in stereo accurate for over 2tb of free space (considering I have 2 separate drives at 1tb, empty). If it is, then I don't have a problem, but if that's not enough, I'm thinking that Logic is recording onto my main hard drive, and then I need to know if I can switch to the other empty hard drives.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26section=9%26tasks=true

Choosing the Recording File Type

You should choose the preferred file type—AIFF, WAV, or CAF—for audio data before recording.

To choose the recording file type

Open Audio preferences by doing one of the following:

Choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio (or use the Open Audio Preferences key command).

Click the Preferences button in the Arrange toolbar, and choose Audio from the pop-up menu.

Click the General tab.

Choose the file type in the Recording File Type pop-up menu.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/Art/S09/S0987_REC_RecordingFileType.png

There is a maximum recording size according to file type, as follows:

AIFF: The AIFF file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 2 GB:

For 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo files, this equals a recording time of about 3 hours and 15 minutes.

For 24-bit, 96 kHz, 5.1 surround files, this equals a recording time of about 20 minutes.

WAVE (BWF): The WAVE file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 4 GB:

For 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo files, this equals a recording time of about 6 hours and 30 minutes.

For 24-bit, 96 kHz, 5.1 surround files, this equals a recording time of about 40 minutes.

CAF: If the size of your recording exceeds the above limits, choose the CAF (Apple Core Audio Format) file format, which can handle the following recording times:

About 13 hours and 30 minutes at 44.1 kHz

About 6 hours at 96 kHz

About 3 hours at 192 kHz

The bit depth and channel format—mono, stereo, or surround—do not affect the maximum recording size of CAF files.

Ok! ah, I realize how stupid that was of me. I didn't understand what you all meant by saying that each file size is limited. I thought you just weren't understanding my problem, as I thought I could have a file size as big as I wanted it, as long as I had the memory. Thank you all so much

Stupidity away!