Noob In Need Of Help

JackGenius

Hey everyone

So three weeks ago I finally made the move and purchased Logic! And I have been hooked! I am completely new to production, having only spent a brief time djing with an ns7.

However, I am experiencing a problem and before making an attempt to fix it with what i've gathered browsing the internet, I felt it was in my best interest (especially when the wallet might become involved) to explain my personal situation and see what advice can be offered.

Ok! So, I believe I am experiencing pretty bad latency issues. Keep in mind I am very noob to all of this. I do not own the best macbook (had my original crash recently, bought an older macbook off craigslist for 400), and am using a korg microkontrol plugged directly into the mac.

Everything starts off ok, no recording latency seems apparent, however once my project has reached, lets say around 5-6 tracks with midi regions, I get playback latency. It is VERYYYY obvious. Despite notes in differing regions being perfectly aligned to play in sync, one hits before the other. Recently, in an unexplainable phenomena, on playback I had my snare track sound distorted, when it wasn't!! I would pause, and upon playing again it would sound fine!! This was a repeating cycle throughout the session.

I've read about soundcards and audio interfaces possibly being my solution?? I DO have macprovideo subscription to help me learn Logic, however their latency tutorial is unbearable. When it comes to technical issues, I am not interested in an 8 hr long tutorial explaining to me the background of latency....I just want to fix the problem!!!!!

Sorry if the topic is redundant, and THANK YOU!!!! to whoever can offer help after reading through all of this nonsense. I guess one last thing to point out is that I am using Skull Candy studio headphones for monitoring, so hey, at least I know thats not the issue!

Aah ok. Updated my sig to the best of knowledge, hope it helps. Thank you for the help!!

While I have assigned plugins to the track channel and to buses, I have never added plugins to the master output channel.

Tried it for the first time when messing around yesterday. Hard to tell any difference from one messing-around-learning-stage session unfortunetly. From what I understand all that does though is bypass plugins that will cause latency? Ultimately i'm hoping to fix the problem completely or at least to the point I can use my plugins without hesitation. Low latency mode, at least to this newb, kind of strikes me as the cheap way out for those of us without the best equipment.

Edited by JackGenius

Aah ok. Updated my sig to the best of knowledge, hope it helps. Thank you for the help!!

Thanks Jack.

OK. 1 GB of RAM wont work. You need AT LEAST 2 GB but preferably 4.

Ok now we're getting somewhere thankfully lol. Any chance you can reccomend a good place to start the ram upgrade? Another new process for me

Edited by JackGenius

Cool i'm on it now. Very cheap for 4GB awesome

I guess for now my last question would just be, is there a chance this will fix the problem entirely?! I gotta say, after watching two hours of that tutorial on macprovideo, and reading thread after thread about different sound cards or audio interfaces that would help, this would be a sudden weight off my shoulder lol