Waldorf Impression

Hey

Is there anyone who owns waldorf q or q+ phoenix, microwave II, pulse?

I would like to know those happies impression on these synths.

I lack kind of brutal and cut through sounds in our music and lost in choice in the array of waldorf synths and not sure which one to buy. Any help?

Right now I have the following hardware and software synths:

Minimoog Voyager, Virus TI 2, Prophet 08, Korg Monotron, Microkorg, Korg Triton Extreme, Omnisphere, Camel Audio Alchemy, Uhe Diva, Uhe Zebra, NI Massive, NI Razor, Nexus 2, kvr synth and some others I do not remember :)

I would like to expand my sounds with bright, evil and cut through audio (not that trancy stuff which is everywhere now). If you have other than Waldorf suggestions for my purpose, you are welcome.

I haven't got any impressions of the Waldorf to draw on, however, the first 2 synths in your gear list should be able to give you plenty of brutal & cut through sounds The Minimoog is a Minimoog & we probably don't need to say any more than that & the Virus is packed full with features.

How confident are you programming your own sounds? The Wavetable oscillators in the Virus are capable of creating some really crazy sounds, even more so when you use the Formant Complex or Grain Complex modes. I could spend days tweaking the Virus & never get bored. If you haven't already then you might want to head over to the main Access website & download the Charlie May & Richard Devine soundsets, have a listen through some of their patches & even try to reverse engineer some of them to learn how those sounds are being achieved.

I've considered buying a Waldorf Microwave a few times, but then I've never bothered to as I've never been that sure it would bring anything that I couldn't already do elsewhere. By the looks of it, once you throw Omnisphere, Alchemy, & Razor into the mix you already have a lot of the bases covered. I haven't had the chance to spend any real quality time with a Microwave so other than different wavetables I'm not sure what it can do that the Virus can't, if you do end up buying one I'd love to know your thoughts about it once you were used to it.

So, my suggestion would be buy a Waldorf if you really want one but if you delve into some of your other synths I'm 100% certain there are brutal sounds in there just waiting for you to extract them.

I own a Microwave I (analog filters) and a Microwave XT (digital filters), as well as a MicroQ (same engine as the Q, just fewer voices & knobs). I wouldn't describe the Waldorf Sound as brutal at all, the Microwaves sound rather glassy and digital (though the Microwave I can do some mean deep bass sounds - but nothing you can't achieve with a real Moog I guess). The Micro Q is my secret weapon for silky smooth pads and nice acid-lines (they sit very nicely in a mix because the resonance is also a bit thin)...

All in all I don't know if you really got the brutal sounds with Waldorfs. As for "cut-through" I'd say yes, but just because they're *not* brutal and don't eat up all the frequencies. When I got my first one, the Micro Q, I was a bit disappointed because of its distinctive metallic sound (got myself a Virus a few months later), but these days I appreciate their character a lot. Would't give up any of them for nuttin' :-)

...think 80ies and PPG Wave, then you're really close :-) or check out the demo videos on Youtube, there's a bunch of them and they can give you a pretty good impression!

like this one (it's in japanese, but I love how the guy plays):

Hope this helps, cheers!

Ruari, very nice reply! Thanks! I am now trying to deeply learn about programming my own sounds and synth theory. I hope I will manage to uncover all potential of Viruus soon as well as Moog.

Sam, I think I would rather buy some soft synths from Waldorf.

Jim, I will look at supernova.

Thanks all!

Yup, I guess with the Largo softsynth you can more or less achieve similar results than with the (Micro)Q, and at a much lower price tag. As for the Microwaves, I've heard that the hardware units have a more raw and untamed sound compared to the Largo (I don't own Largo), but I guess they don't have the sounds you're after... Can you give an example of the sound you're looking for? Prodigy-esque or more dark D'n'B basses/leads?

I guess ruari is spot on, with a virus and a Moog you're as close as you can get get to the big fat analog sounds... Maybe a hardware transistor/tube distortion unit will give you some extra beef?

Jonnik, it's been discontinued, I think... that's why I said "used." Ebay would be a good bet.... this Supernova II is just like mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-Supernova-2-Rackmount-Synthesizer-24-Voice-Supernova-II-/120976136736?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item1c2abd5a20#ht_500wt_1413

The Ultranova is monotimbral (one patch at a time), lacks a lot of faceplate function... it doesn't seem to have much in common with the Supernova series, but I haven't played one. And the reviews I've seen compare the sound of the Ultranova to Waldorf and Access synths, so... apparently it's a lot more programmable than I would think. If you can live with monotimbral output, it might work great.

Hey Jonnik,

I just found a review on MusicRadar about the Waldorf Micro Q Phoenix (a 2008 re-issue of the micro Q), and the sound description sums it up pretty good IMO:

(quote)

Specs aside, synths are judged on the sound they produce, yet finding the right words to describe the Micro Q's isn't easy.

'Hard' would be a useful starting point, with many sounds here possessing killer attack and power. 'Metallic' might be another, as the Micro Q is effortlessly capable of industrial, clanging tones too.

'Cold' might seem unfair but this isn't necessarily a criticism. While most synths tend to take the edge off any such tendencies, the Micro Q wears this quality like a badge of honour, keeping the majority of its presets free of warm reverb or friendly delays.

Indeed, this is a synth engine that sounds like few others, and Waldorf should be congratulated for making it so. It's certainly true that this little box produces sounds that will cut through any mix, and while the sounds won't be to everyone's taste, they certainly makes a strong impression.

There's no doubt about it - this is a synthesizer that has personality in spades.

(Unquote)

here's the full review:

http://beta.musicradar.com/gear/tech/keys-synths/synthesisers-compact-synthesisers/compact-synthesisers/micro-q-phoenix-78927/review

Hope this helps - it's a very cool synth - just consider it as a complementary sonic arsenal to the Virus's and Moogs :-)

OK, that's enough advertisement for Waldorf, one more word and I'll ask them for a salary, haha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Waldorf is no doubt great synth.I owned Q. Unforyunately I had to sold it. Now I own Micro Q I as well as virus b, Nova 2, Minimoog and some other synths. The greatest thing about Q is mod matrix. I can't imagine better mod matrix. Software editor from Sound Tower is olso very usefull. Maybe this helps you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jexus?feature=watch

fpxEWALJ1yk

2NLtThKkiP8

gby94W4jikQ Edited by ksamus