Some Newbie SPDIF Help Anyone?

Gatormike

Having gotten my Stylus RMX all set up in the Environment and saving it all as a base song template, I have hit another "hurdle" and would appreciate any offered troubleshooting.

I want to lay all my guitar work to Logic from my Johnson J-Station via the SPDIF output: Guitar>J-Station>MOTU Traveler>G5Quad running Logic (latest upgrades possible on OSX and Logic). I see no reason to go back to analog on the tones I'm happy with.

Admittedly, I have no experience in Logic's Environment (but is that really necessary to bring in digital audio?? Thought it was more for midi and audio instruments). Perhaps I need to "slave" the MOTU Traveler to the SMPTE output of the J-Station (I haven't tried this yet)? Could I have an incompatible sampling rate set up (I cannot seem to find what the output is/should be on the J-Station to set Logic Preferences accordingly (I assume the Traveler should just pass this stuff through??).

I've poured over the Logic manuals to no avail. I have all the macprovideo stuff (which are great from what I've watched so far), but I have only begun watching those.

Can anyone just give me the cookie-cutter approach so I can start laying down tracks? I just want to create and appreciate any help you might offer.

Thanks in advance. Mike

Agreed.. however what won't be described in Logic's manual is setting your digital sync source with the motu hardware. Setting up an audio track and recording is simple, and as described in the logic documentation. I have the MOTU pci based system... and in the MOTU PCI control, I would have to set the clock source to the input that you have your J-Station hooked up to. With your MOTU gear slaved off the input, you shouldn't have any clicks or pops that are sure signs of digital signal out of sync.

Hi!

If I understand you correctly the answer is "no" you do not need to set things up in the environment.

Just plug your amp in to the s/pdif on you travler and thencreate a audio track and when you choose input make sure you choose the on that the travler is connected to. Usually on a piece as the travler(I am not sure though) input 1-8 is analog, 9-16 ADAT and s/pdif probably 17-18. So if you amp is stereo create a stereo track and set the inputs to 17-18 and then, you should either get a word clock cable if the j-station has word clock in/out. And hook up motu word clock out to j-station word clock in. Or get two s/pidf cables and go motu s/pdif out to j-statiopn s/pdif in and j-station s/pdif out to motu s/pdif in. This way the sample rate should sync up.

If I understand your question(it's late)...

good luck!

Hi!

you should either get a word clock cable if the j-station has word clock in/out. And hook up motu word clock out to j-station word clock in. Or get two s/pidf cables and go motu s/pdif out to j-statiopn s/pdif in and j-station s/pdif out to motu s/pdif in. This way the sample rate should sync up.

Just for clarification,

I described syncing the motu system off the J-station as a slave. this description above would be useful slaving the J-Station off the MOTU clock. Either would yield a successful result. However, it doesn't appear as if the J-Station has any of the connections mentioned here by radlid. I've found that only more 'pro' products have the WORD CLOCK connection, and the J-station doesn't appear to have an 'in' you can slave into. :-(

Persoanly! I prefer to write my songs with software amps like amplitube, guitar rig or logics own guitar amp etc raher to mess with pods and such equipment. Then when the song is ready I record the guitars all over again with my real tube amps. To me the software amps sound better and are easier to deal with.

But thats just me!