mastering & converting audio files best way?

paulflytrap

Hi, I'm just finishing an album all recorded in logic express 8 (16 bit ) then mastering onto zoom h2 recording 24 bit which is all sounding fine to me - but to get them on itunes etc I'm told i have to convert them to 16 bit 44.1 files as they're imported to itunes;

I've found this affects the mixes, making some things pop out a bit more than they should. - this didnt seem to happen when i was just using itunes to burn the wav files to CD & that must have involved conversion to 16 bit?

I don't understand the "mastering onto zoom h2" bit.

H2s are handheld recorders, no?

just never liked the internal processing mixdown thing in cubase (long ago) and had the zoom h2 ( it is a handheld recorder but has line in & tried mixing down onto it & seemed to work ok so stuck with it - so i could do manual fades & hear the mix as its recorded etc ( although I havent really tried doing it inside logic )

There is no point in converting to 16-bit unless you are going to CD.

In fact Apple advices you to have 24-bit masters.

Mastered for iTunes: Music as the Artist and Sound Engineer Intended

I'd much rather keep them 24bit so its good to hear thats what apple wants - tunecore are saying 16 bit to get onto itunes to reduce errors as files go thru the system, (maybe some other online distributors will do 24 bit files)

If you're set on using the H2, I'd put 24bit files through it, not 16bit.

I recorded all the parts (gtr/vx etc) with logic set to 16 bit recording then edited/mixed & then mixed down (line out of desk into zoom) with zoom for a stereo mix to check on various players. I assumed that this would then be 24 bit stereo recording of all the16 bit parts

plus effects. - what i hear thru my monitrs which sounds better quality than 16 bit. am I going about it the wrong way?

I'm not really too set on using the zoom - I tried mixing down(bouncing) in logic over the last day or so & it seems really user friendly & even plays me the mix! ( i know I should've checked that out ages ago)

there is one particular sound which seems to get messed up during conversion from 24 bit to 16 bit ( after mixdown ) and this happens on stereo mixdowns from the zoom or bounced in logic; its a percussion sound (the one like the long row of suspended wind chimes being 'strummed' ) from the pop drum kit software instrument .- sounds fine on zoom 24bit stereo mix & logic 24bit stereo bounce & fine on (AAC imported) itunes CDs; but imported to itunes @ 16 bit the subsequent CDs have it sounding like electrical fizzling?crackles, -

have tried using different midi note, lowering volume in mix, writing Cds in different machines but no joy, anyone had this problem or know an easy fix?