Upgrade to logic 9 express from logic 8 question

Jesseclinton

Hi,

Currently I have logic 8 academic version installed and I wanted to upgrade to logic 9. Since I already have all software instruments and effects mostly in that came with 8, will I run into issues upgrading? Hoping logic 9 express doesn't wipe out logic 8 instruments and effects during the upgrade. Any thoughts?

Logic 9 Express is no longer distributed by Apple. There's only Logic 9 and it's only $199, so there's no longer any upgrades offerings: you just buy the full version for $199 - from the Mac App Store.

Hey David,

I'm still on Logic Pro 8 Retail full version(w/G5 PPC) and have just gotten an Intel Mac Mini Server so i can get newest Logic Studio 9.

I've seen discounted ads for upgrades to Apple Logic Studio:

MB798Z/A

MB799Z/A

do you know what the difference between the above part numbers would be ?

can i assume these are legal versions ?

~Thanks

Kjazz, those products are now discontinued. They are upgrade to Logic Studio, a software suite that included Logic Pro, MainStage, WaveBurner, Soundtrack Pro and a few utilities. The Logic Studio suite is no longer distributed by Apple.

MB798Z/A is an upgrade to Logic Studio 2.0 for owners of Logic Pro 6, 7 or 8.

MB799Z/A is an upgrade to Logic Studio 2.0 for owners of Logic Express (any version).

I have seen logic express 9 available for cheap on ebay and amazon... I believe my friend also has a version of express he is willing to part with.. Theoretically if I was to download it, would I run into any issues loosing anything from logic 8?

You can't download Logic Express 9, it was only available as a DVD.

Installing Logic Express 9 shouldn't cause any problems - I would Control-click Logic Express 8 and choose "Duplicate" first to make a copy of it in case the LE9 installer removes it.

Kjazz, those products are now discontinued. They are upgrade to Logic Studio, a software suite that included Logic Pro, MainStage, WaveBurner, Soundtrack Pro and a few utilities. The Logic Studio suite is no longer distributed by Apple.

MB798Z/A is an upgrade to Logic Studio 2.0 for owners of Logic Pro 6, 7 or 8.

Ok ... so .... since I originally bought Logic Pro 7 full retail version and then the upgraded to Logic Studio 8

will the above: ( MB798Z/A upgrade to Logic Studio 2.0 ) which I've found still "In-Stock" and available today, thru an online-store for almost half price ... contain anything different from buying the full version for $199 - from the Mac App Store ?

Just trying to save some bucks if it's the same.