Using Apple's Migration Assistant for Moving LogicPro?

mclight

Hi!

I want to move Logic from an 2008 iMac to a 2012 MacBookPro.

Can I use Apple's migration assistant for that? I won't move the user or user data of the iMac with the assistant - I just want to move the program (and its libraries of course) and will move my user-data by hand. Is this possible or do I have to uninstall and make a complete new installation on the MacBook?

Will I have to reauthorize Logic after having moved it?

I will sell my iMac and erase all data before doing so. So there is no need for running the software on 2 machines.

Thx for your help!

Thx for your quick reply! 8)

A clean install was my first assumption too - esp. for Logic and its plugins (RMX, Omnisphere, Melodyne). But two people whose opinion I value said that there shouldn't be any problems and if there were I still could reinstall. It would be quite comfortable moving the software via firewire instead of playing the DVD-jockey for 20+ discs ... :roll:

The thing is, Logic is linked to the computer it's on. So changing computers and operating systems will create problems.

If you look at the threads in this forum, there's more issues with Logic because they used MA than otherwise.

You can be lucky and get it going, but I would hate to be the one that said "told you so".

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized that my Logic Studio DVDs are 3 years old (September 2009). Moreover it was an special offer for upgrading from Logic Express to Logic Pro (that is written on the box containing the software). Do you think I should use these DVDs for a clean-install? There is no Logic Express installed on my new Mac Book Pro and the Logic version on this DVD will be 9.0 ... :?

If not: how shall I get new DVDs without buying Logic Pro again (which I won't do for sure :roll: )?

PS: I forgot to add: this is about LogicPro Studio (including MainStage, AppleLoops, all the SW-instruments ... the whole stuff)

Yes... Use the DVDs. You will probably need your original Logic Express Serial, which the installer will ask for... and after install you will need to run Software Updates right away to update it to the latest version as 9.0 will not run on Lion or Mountain Lion.

After that, you should be ready to go...

If I remember correctly, when you use Migration Assistant you still have to re-enter the serial when you first open Logic on the new machine.

Agreed but I have found that it's not a good idea to use MA with Logic as it always seems to mess up in some way. Much better to just do a clean install... Of course, you can use MA to move your projects over... but I have always done that manually myself.

If I remember correctly, when you use Migration Assistant you still have to re-enter the serial when you first open Logic on the new machine.

Agreed but I have found that it's not a good idea to use MA with Logic as it always seems to mess up in some way. Much better to just do a clean install... Of course, you can use MA to move your projects over... but I have always done that manually myself.

Yeah, I'll go with the consensus on this one, but I was one of the lucky ones 8)

Thanx for all your tipps! :-)

I've done the clean install and so far everything went well. But I still have to install the Duet SW, RMX and Omnisphere, the Midi interface ... and then I'll know if everything works as supposed. It's a pity the MA doesn't work here as it should. I enjoyed the MA when moving all my data and programs for office work from my previous MacBook to the new one (3 clicks and then 3 hours without any interference of mine - very comfortable!) - but I thought I'd better ask here before using MA on Logic on my iMac ... ;-)

Yes... Use the DVDs. You will probably need your original Logic Express Serial, which the installer will ask for... and after install you will need to run Software Updates right away to update it to the latest version as 9.0 will not run on Lion or Mountain Lion.

After that, you should be ready to go...

Yeah - that was exactly what happened. First I was a bit confused, when the installer asked for the serial number a second time or a certain "key" (forgot its name - logic xs key or something like that). Then I realized that the installer asked for the Logic Express serial number.

When finished everything was there except Logic (Qmaster, Node, Compressor etc.) - Logic was displayed with the "no go sign" over its icon. After running the update that one was gone and the OS recognized the logic files correctly too. I just don't want to start it yet until I've Duet in place. I need a 800 to 400 FW cable first as the new MBPro offers only FW800 jacks. :roll:

Hi there!

My name is Frank and i am new here to this forum.

I joined because i read this thread. And i am happy that i did not read it earlier :wink: Why?

I have a new MacBook Pro (non Retina) 2012 and had the same problem: how to move Logic with all Plugins from my Mac Pro 2010 to my MacBook?

I decided to do it with the Migration Assistant and my decision was right. Just installed Mountain Lion complete to the Mac book, then launched the Migration Assistant to move all programs and data from my Mac Pro to the MacBook Pro. Only the data on the HD 2 (Samples etc...) i copied manually to the 2. HD on my MacBook Pro.

And there where absolute no problems with Logic. Only some Plugins needed to be reauthorized.

Hi Nick and welcome!

Yes, some people have no issues moving over Logic using MA but some do hence the suggestion that when in doubt it is better to do so manually rather than use the MA method. Also, it's worth noting that some people who used MA had issues later on that were only 'cured' by redoing the install via the 'manual' method. However, not everyone had issues and so fingers crossed it will work well for you.

A recent example of someone having an issue using MA can be found here

Just as an aside, could you please add your system and setup info to your Sig as per the forum rules, section #5, as per the link below...

Forum Rules

Thanks!

Good to hear that MA worked for you - and does so for some people. It worked well for me too - that is for my "normal" stuff. But I am cautious regarding my "music environment". Several people suggested to do a clean install - including official support of eg. melodyne. :wink:

Thanks for the hint regarding the sig - haven't been aware of that - I'll add it tomorrow. 8)

Ok - I've done the clean install and everything went well. I've written a detailed description for a clean install of Logic Studio 9.0.0 under Mountain Lion for an upgrade version (upgrading from Logic Express to Logic Studio). You'll find it here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19577137?ac_cid=op123456#19577137

One more time: thx @ all for your help - this is a cool forum! 8)

Every time I've had to get a new Mac, i just cloned the hard drive from my old computer over to the new one by using carbon copy cloner with the new machine in target mode. It's never failed me. I just let the computer do it's thing, start up my new computer, and it's exactly the same. You will have to reauthorize some plugins, but not logic. As long as the imac's operating system is compatible with your new MacBook, that should work just fine. No fresh installs of anything, just your new computer set up exactly how you like it. The only thing you may have to do is run the latest update just to make sure the MacBook has the correct drivers.