Automation MIDI controller

Hey everyone. I am in the market for a good mixer controller. Something along the lines of these...

http://www.amazon.com/KORG-nanoKONTROL2-Slim-Line-Control-Surface/dp/B004M8UZ3S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1346765785&sr=8-6&keywords=korg+nanokey2

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLmk2zero/

Any thoughts or other options for mixing? I am tired of using a mouse and the mixer window. No fun and time consuming.

Thanks!

Amos

I personally don't understand how anyone can mix with a controller that doesn't have motorized touch-sensitive faders. How do you deal with the discrepancy between the value in Logic and the physical position of your fader on the controller when changing fader banks?

I would recommend the Mackie MCU: http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/index.html

I personally don't understand how anyone can mix with a controller that doesn't have motorized touch-sensitive faders. How do you deal with the discrepancy between the value in Logic and the physical position of your fader on the controller when changing fader banks?

I would recommend the Mackie MCU: http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/index.html

The Mackie is pretty much the best one I've encountered (I have never physically used any control surface, but playing around with displays of the different items can still show you how shoddy/cheap some things are.)

Plus with the Mackie, you can always extend it with those 8 channel thingies you can stick on either side.

The only downside is the price...

David is right. I mean if you see that your fader is set to -10dB and you want to move it to -8dB, you are going to have one heck of a time if your controller isn't motorized. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, you state that using a mouse is no fun and time consuming. Try either one of the controllers you listed and see how fun and time consuming takes on a new meaning.

All seriousness aside, if you really want hands free controlling, you will need to spend some bucks. If all you want to do is move the faders up and down, then the Korg should be fine. If anything, it will give you some clue to if you will like using a controller.

I like mine (nanoKorg) and it does just about anything I want it to. I really like it when I have it set up as a four channel stereo Bus (Subgroup) mixer.

Unfortunately,

:cry:

I am faster with a track pad.

I originally was in a rush to get a control surface as well, but I realized my skill level/needs don't really necessitate me spending a grand on the Mackie. I got this MIDI keyboard instead:

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/Axiom61mk2-xlarge.jpg

Again, the faders aren't motorized and don't exactly match up with the software all the time, but as David said, you get what you pay for. But it'll definitely give you a good idea of the tactile aspect of mixing (that is, using the faders, knobs, etc.) Plus it's a keyboard too.

Thanks for the thoughts! I loved the idea of motorized faders. I usually mix as I write for the most part and that has not been much of a hassle. But I am currently working on mixing some string arrangements and there are LOTS of tracks and it quickly became a time killer to go and use the mouse for each individual fader. Being able to use multiple faders at once seems a dream. I am also glad someone mentioned the Axiom. I have an Axiom 49, it has all the knobs and faders I want but I have NEVER EVER been able to make it work with logic. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a post about it?

Do you prefer to use a mouse because of the inaccuracy of the Axiom or would you still use a mouse no matter what control surface you had?

I'll use whatever's on hand and whatever's needed for the task. Most of the time, a mouse is all I need to mix. It's not about the Axiom itself, as I said earlier, I don't see the point of attempting to mix with a non-motorized, non-touch-sensitive control surface. I just don't get it at all. I mean, have you ever tried it? It's just a huge waste of time.

I come from a time when we had large consoles in studios, and what a headache that was. We were dreaming of a better way to interface with the mixing desk. All those buttons, all those faders to handle, it was just silly. You had to be 2, 3, sometimes 4 people on the desk when it wasn't automated, just to perform a mix during the mixdown. If one of us f(&'ed up then we'd have to do it all over again.

Enters the age of computers and everything is neatly stored on a hard drive and you can control it all with a single mouse and automate everything you want... and for some reason everybody wants to attach large control surfaces to the computer? I don't get it.

Up to this point I have always just used a mouse and have been happy with it. I asked the question because I am working on mixing some string arrangements and have something around 25 different tracks I am going through. Having a few faders for volume and knobs for panning would make things a lot more fun and I would imagine faster than only having control over one track at a time. @David....do you find yourself not using the Mackie controller very much?