Audio Interface

Hi,

Im pretty new at Music production hardware. So I've been thinking what exact importance does a soundcard have for music production.I mean ofcourse, for a clearer sound but then ive also heard the onboard card on the Macbook is pretty decent. Also, the other day a friend of mine told me Digital to Analog converter is what i need, but then if i use a DAC, that would mean I'm listening to a processed signal right? - since it will process the digital signals from computer to an Analog signal? How will that be right for making music? What are the things i need to know hardware wise on a beginner level?

Thanks

A sound card is a DAC and a ADC all in one if you have Audio inputs too, which is kind of the point in having one really.It takes your digital information and converts it to an audio signal If you are making everything in the box then your MacBook output is fine. If however you want to record then you will need a sound card. You can record into a MacBook but a sound card makes light work of it and offers more flexibility and that flexibility is only limited to what input/outputs you have. There are other advantages too but again if ypur itb then not much need to worry.More ins outs generally cost more. I use an maudio solo and it's perfect for my needs. I could manage without one if I only made electronic music but I got a few guitars etc. Just don't get sucked into the whole debate of which card is better and why because most of these extra features like state of the art preamps etc are not needed by your average electronic producer. Well I never see the point when someone is paying through the nose for these cards with amazing features and then running the recordings through Sausage Fat lol