Cannot get rid of noise/static!

I'm noticing that when I as I begin to build up a few tracks, this noticeable, though not necessarily loud static is introduced into the master/stereo out. Nothing is metering in the red, there doesn't appear to be any clipping/peaking anywhere. It seems to happen specifically with tracks heavy on bass frequencies, like ultrabeat tracks and bass guitar tracks. However, when those tracks are isolated from the rest, the noise disappears.

Doesn't appear to be a clocking issue, everything seems to be set at a consistent 41.4 khz. It also does not appear to be a latency issue. CPU load reads just fine.

The weirdest thing is that it really doesn't seem to be IN the recording so much as ON TOP of it. It seems to go away if I turn everything way down, but then when I try to bring up the gain in mastering it just comes back. And when I moved it to a different computer running logic, the problem disappeared. Like I said, it's like its on top of the recording, not in it. It's really bizarre.

I'm running a Macbook Pro 13 inch, 4 gb ram

Other computer was a 15 inch MBP with 8gb ram. Obvious answer is that the CPU on the 13 inch can't handle it, but again, CPU meter reads fine.

Totally stumped. What the hell is causing this issue?

Well, I'm listening on my studio monitors, and I have to say....

While I am hearing a huge build-up in the low mids, resulting in a ton of mud, I'm not hearing anything I would call low end "distortion." Certainly not any kind of crackling, static-y noise. I'm just hearing a big, muddy thump.

You might want to take a look at your monitors, monitor cables... hell, maybe what you're hearing is a rattle in whatever surface the monitors are sitting on. Try involver's suggestion... load up some kind of loud, rocking commercial recording and see if you hear the same thing. Then I'd look into dialing out some low mids on some of those tracks,,, the guitars, the bass, the kick, everything is just pounding away in the 300hz range.

I'm not using monitors. I'm using headphones (and I've checked multiple sets). The problem is completely non existant with commercial recordings. So it's not a hardware issue.

And again, I dropped this project EXACTLY as it is onto another computer with logic and it completely disappeared. It's definitely a problem with logic.

You dropped the project onto another computer with Logic, and it was fine. But you're certain the problem is something in Logic, although this last experiment would seem to indicate that it isn't. Maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall the Logic package.

Good luck. All I can tell you is I don't hear any low-end distortion in the sample you posted. Just a really muddy mix.

I also didn't say that it was low end distortion, simply that it was present when moe bass-centric tracks frequencies are active. I can see that that is a confusing an illogical statement. It's a crackling on top of the track. I have noticed that it seems less present with different headphones and speaker sets, but its definitely there. Turn that file all the way up with a pair of mdr v6's and you'll hear it. Anything that sweetens the mix (like my girlfriends triports) makes it less apparent.

logic just seems to be prone to making it noticeable.

Logic is just streaming the samples you're producing. It's just zeroes and ones. It's not prone to make anything more noticeable. If anything, your mix might be able to make a problem more noticeable. Whether you play your mix from Logic or from Quicktime, it should sound exactly the same.

• 1 year later...

I have been having the same type of problem!

I'm mixing certain things with my Head phones, via an Allen and Heath ZED 14 usb mixer (audio interface) and Audio techna headphones.

When mixing in Logic 9 I get a distortion in my head phones almost like they are busted. Same sound occurs when I track vocals or guitar. Makes it VERY difficult to capture the right sound.

I bounced a couple files to Wave Burner for mastering and did NOT have the same problem.

Also tried using different headphones with the Logic 9 and had the same result, distorted static.

And the same result with different headphones with Wave Burner, no distortion.

ALSO the distortion comes through my monitors. Not sure why it is happening. I want to fix it!

PLEASE HELP!

I'm mixing certain things with my Head phones, via an Allen and Heath ZED 14 usb mixer (audio interface) and Audio techna headphones.

When mixing in Logic 9 I get a distortion in my head phones almost like they are busted. Same sound occurs when I track vocals or guitar. Makes it VERY difficult to capture the right sound.

Sounds like track overloading. Anything hitting red in your tracks or stereo output?

• 4 months later...

OK, so I know it's two years since the OP, but I'm having a very similar problem.

Full disclosure - I am new to audio recording, and to Logic Pro X as well.

My basic setup is a Mac Pro 5,1 12 core 2.4 GHz with 48 GB of ram, running OSX 10.9.4 and Logic 10.0.7. I have an Apogee Duet 2 USB and AudioTechnica headphones. I also have a set of relatively cheap speakers plugged into the 'line out' on the back of the computer. The mic doesn't matter.

Basically, here's what's happening. If I record my singing while listening through the monitor headset, I can hear static. I am not clipping at all. If I playback the track, I still get static, which varies according to the overall volume of the track. I played the same track back through my 'line out' speakers, and it sounded fine - no static. My first conclusion was that somehow my Duet was bad (all of my stuff except for my computer and cheap speakers are new).

Here's where it gets weird. I closed Logic, opened iTunes, and played some music. It sounded fine. I then opened Logic and played the same song on iTunes, and that same static showed back up. If I switch over to my 'line out' speakers, the static goes away.

Something about having Logic open is creating a static through my monitor headphones that I don't hear when it is closed. I am thoroughly puzzled.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I am having the same exact problem on my iMac. Everything is fine on my Macbook pro. My monitors are fine. Everything runs smooth until I start to work on my iMac. When I build software instruments and start recording from midi I get this awful static noise that I can not get rid of. It only does it when recording midi. Please help!!!

Thank you

Is your mic fine? Also, check the input and output settings of Apogee Maestro (i.e. your Apogee Duet software). Some settings in there may cause some distortion/static.

Also - have you tried importing a different audio file into Logic and then tried listening to it? This will rule out if Logic is the issue and then you can check your gear.

• 3 years later...

Same here. Project sounded good, minor changes in mix, no big additons - and all of a sudden this static like distortion showed up. This stayed with this project after first appearance.

In this case, the distortion appeared only on the intro, where an electric piano is playing solo. Some findings:

-as soon as the rest of the instruments come in, the distortion stops (this indicates for me that it is not due to lack of processing power)

-changing effects does not have any effect

-changing i/o buffer size does not have any effect

-changing interface does not have any effect

-sometimes the distortion is gone the second time I play from the beginning (but not always...)

-in bounces (Offline) it appears again

-> This worked as a temporary workaround: I freezed the track with the intro-piano, and the distortion did not show up.