CPU with / without Kontakt

rainstick

What version of Kontakt? There are some earlier versions.. of 4 and 5.. that do place large demands on CPU... depending on what sample sets you are running inside Kontakt itself. Also, i see you are running Logic 9.1.3... Did you know there was an issue in that version that was fixed in 9.1.6 that caused all kinds of weird issues with Kontakt 4/5 including but not limited to, unexpected crashes?

Are you running the memory server in Kontakt. If so and if you are running Logic in 64bit mode, disable Kontakt's own memory server (Logic will handle all of that itself in 64bit mode) and that will help with the single CPU spiking a great deal i found. Also, some tweaking of Kontakt 5's (and 4's to a lesser extent) own settings such as it's multi core stuff... which can help spread across all available cores too..

I don't think you can spread a single instance of a Kontakt instrument across multiple cores. (If you can I'd sure love to be told otherwise.... I've tried dinking with the CPU settings in Kontakt with no affect on this problem.)

Or maybe it's just Studio Drummer. It's a huge CPU hog (no idea why). When using it on my 2.3ghz 8-core Mac, I see exactly this behavior. But because Logic does such a neat-o job of freezing and unfreezing tracks, I just ignore the CPU meter (it doesn't seem to affect audio performance) until I've got the drum performance the way I want it, and then freeze the track or tracks. Zoom. CPU load goes to nothing. If you find you want to edit, unfreeze the track, fix it, and freeze it again.

The NI "Drummers" (Studio, Abbey Road 60's, 70's and 80's, and Modern) are all real inefficient, and the only Kontakt instruments I have this problem with. Too bad they sound so darn good.

I think it is highly dependent on what kind of internal processing is done by Kontakt. In the drummer packages mentioned there's at least two kinds of reverb, plus the whole scripting for mixer elements etc etc. If you were to load an instrument without any of these added effects and scripts, the CPU hit will be (much) smaller. Goes for any virtual instrument with onboard effects, especially reverb.

Hi

Studio Drummer is *extremely* CPU intensive. Not much you can do about it except turn off as much internal Kontakt processing as possible (as suggested by Erik). Note that the internal Convolution Reverb can only be disabled via the "wrench" icon in Kontakt (see "Send Effects").

Your only other choice is to up the I/O buffer in Logic (or.....)

CCT

Sorry, Rainstick - I haven't had that problem on my rig, even with the occasional bounce into the red, so it didn't occur to me that this would be interrupting your work.

I'll second or third the idea that you turn off some effects until you are ready to freeze the track, and join the chorus of NI Users who are yelling at them to pare this monster down somehow. :) (Well, okay, I don't know if it's really a "chorus" or not, but I've certainly written to them about it.)

I have Komplete 8 with Kontakt 5.0.3 and everything runs fine here on 10.8.1 with 9.1.7. AS suggested turn of the convo reverb(click on the wrench button). Also make sure that you have multicore support(for AU) turned off in Kontakt options.

Also NI recently released a 1.2 update for Studio Drummer which lowered the CPU consumption significantly, although the reverb is still pretty CPU hungry when turned on. Its in the Sevice Center or on NI webpage under support/Updates.

Regards J