Basic workflow for live multi-tracked drums

Can anyone share a simplified outline of how they approach mixing live drums? In the past I've used strip silence on the kick and tom tracks, then used drum replacement to compliment the kick sound. The project I'm currently working on is more of a 'quick and dirty' thing, so I'm wondering if stripping silence is necessary. There are 6 tracks (mono overhead, kick, snare, cymbals, hi-hat, floor tom).

I'm also just interested in general about how you guys go about it, being a relative newb myself.

Strip silence is rarely necessary, it's a choice you make. I don't always do it, it kinda depends on the instrumentation, and the genre. If I'm mixing top40 type pop music I might want my drums to sound really really precise and almost like samples/drum machines, and therefore strip silence them. If I'm mixing rock, pop rock, indie rock, alternative rock, singer-songwriter, jazz, hard rock, heavy metal etc... then I might not want the drums to sound that processed and clean, so I will not strip silence, getting a little bit more of a live sound.

Since you're saying "compliment" the drum sound, my guess is, by drum replacement you actually meant drum doubling? So you mix the sample with the original recorded kick? I like that method, which gives you one fader for the "human" sound, and another for the "machine" sound (the sample). The human sound gives the variety, the machine sound gives the consistency. Then I automate both as needed throughout the song (more consistency during the chorus, more variety during the verse, etc...).

Since you're saying "compliment" the drum sound, my guess is, by drum replacement you actually meant drum doubling? So you mix the sample with the original recorded kick? I like that method, which gives you one fader for the "human" sound, and another for the "machine" sound (the sample). The human sound gives the variety, the machine sound gives the consistency. Then I automate both as needed throughout the song (more consistency during the chorus, more variety during the verse, etc...).

Yes, doubling for sure. Its rock/alternative music, so I like using a sample just to punch it up a bit (or add attack or whatever the case may be). Automating it is a great idea though, I wouldn't have thought of that.