Not Enough Memory Should Not Happen

hmowday

So I am working on this mostly vocal job (4 part) I wouldn't by any means think it is stressful at all to CPU or RAM.

I have a macbook bro i7 with 16gig Ram and I have been getting this message of late. Running in 32bit mode

When it comes up (Only on this session btw) it then starts to loop. As I hit OKAY, it then pops up again. I have to force quit Logic (9.1.7)

Any help Gentlepeople?

Regards.

Hylton

2119600307_ScreenShot2012-09-20at9_23_12AM.png.3a70f8d4745c56ea735ef7fe41917e8f.png

Well, to begin with, is there any reason you are not running Logic in 64bit mode so you can take full advantage of all that Ram you have? Running in 32bit mode limits you a great deal and in some circumstances reduces your available memory to less than 1.5GB.. less what other apps you have running in the background.. Secondly, how many undo levels do you have set up? Have you been doing a lot of editing? Again, running in 32bit mode will create limits which you might be hitting depending on what you have been doing...

Sp, unless you have a good reason not to do so, try running Logic in 64bit mode and see if that makes any difference..

Thanks, I'll look for that re-araange memory option.

I run 32 bit as I use the firewire .dv output for pictures. Primarily if I am using software instruments, I would use NI's stuff and use Kontakt's Mem Server. I believe this will be accessing Ram above 4gig Is this correct?

I have 30 Undo Steps. Is this average?

THanks in advance

Yes.. you would be right if all you are using is Kontakt along with it's Memory Server... but be aware that if you are also using Massive for example, that can take up a chunk of memory in the process.

I'd probably try reducing the number of steps to 10 or 15 and see if that improves things.

Finally, that Error msg is, as it says, something you normally shouldn't see, Having said that, I've seen it once or twice and on both cases it was when i was running Logic in 32bit mode and I had basically run out of memory. At the time I used a little app called iFreemem to help free up memory (while Logic was still running) and i found this to work very well but I know some view such programs as "voodoo' in the sense that you can achieve much the same via some commands in Terminal but I have to say i found iFreemem to be somewhat better in 'fixing' these kinds of issues especially when I was in the middle of working within Logic.

YVMV! :)