logic equivalent of retrospective record?

hungrydave

Cubase has a function called retrospective record. You're going round a section auditioning a melody. You play something you like, and you can hit retrospective record, which will put down the midi data that you've played since the last point where you pressed play.

Is there something like this in logic?

Capture recording. Do a search for "capture" in the key commands and you'll find several options.

As a side note, I almost never go into record when doing MIDI parts. I just play parts down, and if I think I like what I did, I hit my k/command and voila, the MIDI part shows up on the track. You can even hit the command while Logic is running. However...

Caveat: when using capture recording for MIDI, make sure that if you stop Logic after playing something that you hit capture immediately afterward to acquire the part on the track. The way it works is this:

• Logic will internally capture (buffer) MIDI as you play while Logic is running

• If you hit Stop, the contents of the MIDI buffer remain in place, and you can still hit capture and place the part on a track. But...

• If after hitting Stop you generate even a single MIDI event from your controller (such as playing a note, moving the modwheel or sustain pedal), the contents of the buffer are immediately wiped out and will now contain the new event(s).

It takes only a minute or two of experimenting to get the hang of it.

Apparently there's also a capture function for audio, but I've never used it.

Thanks scott and ski

• If after hitting Stop you generate even a single MIDI event from your controller (such as playing a note, moving the modwheel or sustain pedal), the contents of the buffer are immediately wiped out and will now contain the new event(s).

crikey ;-) So it remembers stuff while not in play mode?

You're welcome! And indeed, it will remember the contents of the buffer when Logic is stopped. I can remember one time recently when I played something in but then I got an important call, so I hit stop, went outside to have my conversation, then returned to the studio an hour later realizing that I hadn't captured that last take. So I hit my k/command for capture and voila, the part was put on the track!

Problem: My controller keyboard sends out pitchbend #64 info all the time. I can filter this in the environment, but then i'll never be able to have pitch bend centered.

Any fixes?

Multiple Choice:

a) do a reset on your controller (if it has such a feature) and see if that fixes the problem

b) get your controller fixed

c) buy a new controller

d) ask Ski to stop stating the obvious

e) stopgap measure: filter out pitch bend events using Logic's global MIDI filter. Don't recall right now if it's in the Preferences or Song Settings, but you'll find it under one of them

Thinking about this a bit more, I can describe a way that I could keep pitch bend on and filter the #64 messages, I just dont know if it's possible to take my description and apply it in terms of transformers/environment objects

How about this:

Dear environment window. I would like you to filter all pitch bend #64 messages except when they are preceded within a short duration (could be 1second or 1 crotchet) by any other pitch bend value.

Is that possible?

How about if I had a cable switcher with two outputs, one leads to PB#64 filter. The cable switcher is set up to be triggered by any pitch bend other than #64. A delay line somewhere would allow some brief time before the switch closes the filter. Hmmm, I'm gonna try this, will post back with results

Dear Environment Window

A Logic Pro Help Daily Exclusive

by award-winning Environment Columnist Evan T. Mehta, with Astrologer Crystal Bollocks

This week, a reader writes in:

Dear environment window. I would like you to filter all pitch bend #64 messages except when they are preceded within a short duration (could be 1second or 1 crotchet) by any other pitch bend value.

Is that possible?

Dear "Hungry Dave",

Crystal replies: It is admirable that you are reaching for the stars! Not many people dare to dream with such abandon. But the scope of your desires are so vast that they exceed any possibility of finding a real world solution. Instead, focus your energies on getting your funky-ass controller's pitch bend wheel fixed. Your lucky numbers are 127, 0, and -64.

Evan replies: While it's possible to set up an arpeggiator or MIDI delay to act as a timer, they're no longer reliable in serving this function (though in previous incarnations of Logic they used to be). In short, you can easily set up a kind of comparator whereby pitchbend data is always filtered except when you're generating other kinds of MIDI data. But to have that comparator also influenced by any kind of timer just won't be reliable. There's also the chance that your funky-ass controller will spit out pitch bend data before the timer times out. So my best advice is to fix your busted-up controller and save yourself the trouble.

HAHAHA.

Crystal: perhaps your own healing energies need replenishing as last week you told me i could achieve anything i set my mind to so long as i bought those native american positivity beads from your website, delivery received, thanks.

Evan: I don't think the timer needs to be overly reliable. I'm working on it, and i'll post back with the files when i'm a bit closer

i'm officially a genius :-)

Got it working a treat.

If you open the file there's a region that simulates me using the pitch bend, followed by the random #64 messages. It's on a loop. Hit play and head to the environment layer 'pitchbend test'. the two monitors on the right display what's filtered and what isn't. as you can see, the random #64 are going to be filtered. The un-random 'me-using-the-PB-wheel' bit is unfiltered, but AND HERE'S THE DRAMATIC BIT, the filter allows the last #64 message through before switching off again to kill the random stuff.

I'm not sure what the deadline is for nobel prize nominations, but be careful not to miss it :-)

pitch bend filter.logic.zip