Logic isn't receiving midi via my audio interface..

ryry045

Hey people please help...

Ok I am trying to record into logic pro 9.1.1 from my Korg R3, I have my audio cables correctly inserted from my Korg to my audio interface and have my midi out cable inserted to midi in on my audio interface and vise versa.

Audio is showing up in Logic and I know this because I am receiving audio in my meter in the channel strip but yeah no midi data seems to be getting through....

I have a MacBook Pro 2 GHz i7 4 GB ram, my Korg, my audio interface is a Presonus Audiobox USB...

I know it is probably something really small that I have missed, I am pretty new to all this and would love to just get on with it and lay out some tracks....

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks Ryan...

Did you try it both ways? Here's what I would try:

1) Play some notes on the Korg and see if you see any activity in the transport bar's MIDI In display (otherwise says "No in").

2) Create an external MIDI track, select the Audiobox in the Library then the MIDI Out port connected to the Korg then a MIDI channel, record some notes on that track and play them back, see if they trigger the Korg? (plug headphones directly on the Korg)

Did you setup the midi devices in audio midi setup?

Are you trying to use softsynths or your hardware?

If hardware, did you try create a midi track in the arrange and check the port setting in the inspector?

Did you open up the library after selecting an external midi track and see if your hardware shows up?

Do you have an environment midi layer?

If you just want to test softsynths you should add the interface and the keyboard to Audio Midi Setup and open up one of the logic default templates with instruments and see if it works.

Actually there's nothing to set up in Audio MIDI Setup - Logic connects to MIDI devices directly without using Audio MIDI Setup.

If you just want to test softsynths you should add the interface and the keyboard to Audio Midi Setup

That step is unnecessary, Logic automatically receives all incoming MIDI data and can access MIDI Out ports directly without any setting up in Audio MIDI Setup.

Actually there's nothing to set up in Audio MIDI Setup - Logic connects to MIDI devices directly without using Audio MIDI Setup.

If you just want to test softsynths you should add the interface and the keyboard to Audio Midi Setup

That step is unnecessary, Logic automatically receives all incoming MIDI data and can access MIDI Out ports directly without any setting up in Audio MIDI Setup.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need at least an environment connection to play an external midi device? He says he is trying to play an external midi device as his audio cables are connected to his interface and he can see the audio but logic is not receiving midi. I understand it is not necessary but if that is the case I would think audio midi setup is probably an easier route for someone new to Logic than fiddling with the environment and it also helps if you are connecting to other midi software.

Ryan, you say you see audio coming in. Did you create an External Instrument track (which is the only way you would see audio coming into Logic when you have a midi track selected)? Otherwise you may be on an Audio track and in that case you may be monitoring the audio only and triggering your Keyboard in Local only mode in which case your keyboard will not be sending out midi data, yet you will hear it. If your keyboard is in Midi mode you will see that you are sending out note data to logic when you are on a proper midi track. Consult your manual to see how to switch between those modes on your keyboard.

You need to be on a midi instrument track of some kind (Software Instrument, Software Instrument "External Instrument" or External Midi).

Also, I think you have a USB keyboard, meaning that it has its own midi interface. In that case you could be connecting it directly to your computer, bypassing the need for midi cables altogether which may simplify your setup.

Naming the devices in the Audio MIDI Setup is good practice as this have the effect of also renaming the ports in Logic (Environment, Media Library, Inspector, etc...) and other compliant MIDI softwares, which does help when comes the time to select these...

Hey guys, thanks for your input thus far and this is where I am at.

I created a software instrument in the Arrange page then I went to the Environment window and selected MIDI Instr. then went to New and selected Instrument, named my instrument Korgr3 then went to Port selected Korgr3 and AudioBox USB popped up then I left the Environment window and went back to the Arrange page.

Once back in the Arrange page I went across to the inspector window selected the light blue button where all the software synths live went down to External Instrument and in MIDI Destinations selected MIDI Instrument: Korgr3 then down in Input selected 1-2 and everything works fine…..

Ok but just one more thing, I like to record my percussion via the EXS24 and my Alesis DM10 and just a couple of pads my ride and snare, when I remove my USB cable from my audio interface and insert my USB cable from my DM10 I can not access the samples in the EXS24 via my DM10, actually I cant access any of the software synths even with my old M-Audio Axiom MIDI controller.

And vise versa if I open a new project and set up my DM10 with the EXS24 it works fine but then when I try and find my audio interface in the Environment window it doesn’t show up.

Is there any way of letting Logic know that I would like to switch between my Korg and the EXS24 via my Alesis.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated…

Ryan…