Looking to buy Monitor/Screen for Logic/Macbook

Hi Daren,

It really depends on your budget and required screen size... so a bit more info from you would help..

However...

I've bought several Samsung Monitors over the last couple of years and had no issues with any of them... Good value for money but they are certainly not 'top end' However, for quality of the display v price.. I have been more than happy.

If your MBP has Thunderbolt and you have the budget for it(they often come up on the refurb section of the Apple Store), the 27" Apple display is great. Great resolution and it will give you one more FW800 port, 3 more USB ports, an Ethernet port and an additional TB port. It totally changed my way of working with Logic as i always have the mixer, editors section on the RH side opened, and my MBP screen now has my soundcard control panel also always opened. Total workflow freedom, but total credit card filler. All those additional ports are very welcome on an Apple laptop.

Blink

The first thing you should figure out is the maximum resolution of your graphic card. Some MacBooks stop at 1,920 x 1,200 which is way below Apple's 27" display resolution (2,560 x 1,440), so you wouldn't get anywhere close to the definition of that screen. I know the Retina Displays get a larger resolution but I'm not sure if you can use that for an external monitor? Never tried yet.

For monitor brands look into Samsung and Dell.

Firstly, thank you to everybody for your replies - basically, i just want something that i can plug into my 13" Macbook to use with Logic so that everything seems clearer (and larger)

Not knowing a great deal about screens/monitors, i was close to buying a second-hand TV screen from someone for £100, when a friend suggested that, as i have no intention of watching any television on it, i could (and should) just get something like an LG monitor for around £130 as my budget is only about £150.

I've been looking at the LG IPS236V 23-inch IPS monitor that seems like a good deal at £150 inc. vat.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3311292/lg-ips236v-23-inch-ips-monitor-review/

I realise that this is probably very entry level stuff to many of you but i just simply want to be able to see, use and work with Logic on something bigger than a 13" Macbook.

Would appreciate your thoughts and feedback with regard to things such as whether it's worth maybe saving up some more money with a view to getting a larger screen and/or is LG a decent make etc.

Thanks again,

Daren

I have two monitors on my studio rig, and the larger one is an LG 23" widescreen. It's been great, no problems, looks great. (The smaller monitor is a Samsung, and it's a been good, too, but its older and not as sharp... A new Samsung would be just as good as the LG).

Regardless of OEM nameplate, the LCD panels themselves are made by only a couple of manufacturers.

Edited by Gravity Jim

Would appreciate your thoughts and feedback with regard to things such as whether it's worth maybe saving up some more money with a view to getting a larger screen

We can't answer unless you tell us what model your MacBook Pro is so we can determine its graphic cards max resolution. Computer displays are not all about size, they're about number of pixels the graphic card can control. There's no point having a large screen if your MacBook doesn't support its resolution and treats it as a smaller display!

My apologies, does this help..?

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 384 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0126

Revision ID: 0x0009

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Im a cheap skate and have an I-INC thing I bought from misco.co.uk for about £120, cheap cheerful, it works on my mac and Im pretty sure it works on your mac too as Ive had a 13 plugged into it once before (but do check as David said). Just need to get the adapter from apple, if I can remember it was about £25.

The way I see it for £120 if it dies after a year then you've had a monitor for £2 a week, not bad really considering I would spend that a couple of times a week on a Tuna crunch sandwich from Greggs :), actually your in the UK so if it did die JUST after a 12 month then you have the sales of goods act "fit for reasonably use" and could still get a warranty repair.