Piano Roll Editor Controller Lane [SOLVED]

snorkybingo

Hi all, a couple of questions...

all of a sudden when I open the piano roll editor (Cmd+6) the controller lane is taking up half of the view at full screen. I then adjust the controller lane so it only takes up 1/4 of the view and close the piano roll edit window. When I re-open the window the controller lane has gone back to taking up half of the view. How do I get it to remember my settings? I'm sure it used to do this but all of a sudden I have this problem.

Also when I open up multiple midi regions with the piano roll editor (Cmd+6) it only shows the velocities for one channel in the controller lane. I set the channel to 'any' in the drop down menu of the controller lane and I still don't see the other channels' velocities. Is it possible to see the other velocities when I select notes from other channels?

Thanks

Logic Pro 8.0.2, iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo [OSX 10.5.8], MBox2, Guitar Rig Kontrol 2, Genelec 8030A Studio Monitors

all of a sudden when I open the piano roll editor (Cmd+6) the controller lane is taking up half of the view at full screen. I then adjust the controller lane so it only takes up 1/4 of the view and close the piano roll edit window. When I re-open the window the controller lane has gone back to taking up half of the view. How do I get it to remember my settings? I'm sure it used to do this but all of a sudden I have this problem.

The "Controller lane" is called the Hyper Draw area. You toggle it on/off with the button at the bottom left of the Hyper Draw area (or bottom left of Piano Roll if the Hyper Draw area is closed).

In theory at least, the Piano Roll and its Hyper Draw area sizes should be remembered by Logic, so they should be the same when you close and reopen the Piano Roll area. You could also try locking your screenset when they both have the desired size, then recall the locked screenset when you want to make sure they return to that desired size.

Also when I open up multiple midi regions with the piano roll editor (Cmd+6) it only shows the velocities for one channel in the controller lane. I set the channel to 'any' in the drop down menu of the controller lane and I still don't see the other channels' velocities. Is it possible to see the other velocities when I select notes from other channels?

No, that's the way Hyper Draw works: it can only display one MIDI Controller (or attribute in the case of velocities) on one channel at a time.

Another view option that might get you closer to your goal is to view the controller data directly in the regions in the arrange. If you have autozoom turned off, then you can re-size all the lanes so that you can see several channel's worth of velocity data at once. And the Autodefine command is your friend in both the Hyper Draw area and in the regions. It will cycle through any available controller data.

1304377731_Controllersinregions.thumb.png.9ff7d5d985695b40dc9bb5eda6f1f19b.png

Thanks for the info David and Camillo. Yes Camillo, the Autodefine function (arrange window) will solve my problem with viewing and editing multiple velocities. Nice trick!

Confused! Autodefine also appears in the drop down menu of the Hyper Draw area when piano roll is in a separate window (cmd+6) but just closes the Hyper Draw area when you select it. In theory it should at least show velocity, there is always velocity of notes in regions. Hmmm!

camillo jr, I always edit midi using piano roll in a separate window (cmd+6). The autodefine function is also in the Hyper Draw area of this window.

David, I'm using Logic 8.0.2 and the help file says:

It responds in this order:

Controller

Aftertouch

Pitch Bend

Program Change

Note Velocity

I've just figured it out. If you cmd+6 for piano roll editor and open up Hyper Draw (bottom left), when you click Autodefine it closes the window. When you go to view in the piano roll window and click Hyper Draw > Autodefine then it opens it up again. It's a toggle.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

It responds in this order:

Controller

Aftertouch

Pitch Bend

Program Change

Note Velocity

That's correct, so if Note Velocity is what's currently showing, then it closes the Hyper Draw area. If a controller is showing, then it goes to the next controller, or to aftertouch, or pitch bend, etc... whatever's next in that list.

If you cmd+6 for piano roll editor and open up Hyper Draw (bottom left), when you click Autodefine it closes the window.

Only if what was displayed was Note Velocity. I just opened my Hyper Draw area and it was showing Volume. When I pressed autodefine it went on to show me Pitch Bend. Another press went on to show me Note Velocity. That's what I was explaining in my previous post.

When you go to view in the piano roll window and click Hyper Draw > Autodefine then it opens it up again.

It doesn't matter whether you click on Hyper Draw > Autodefine or use the equivalent key command. It's not a toggle, it is a command that allows you to cycle through various values. If you don't have any MIDI events but Notes, then the only thing it can display is note velocity, so it acts as a toggle. But make sure you add some volume, pan, pitch bend data, and try it again, you'll see what I mean.