Can't Save in Logic 8 anymore!

jpurrington

I've been using Logic 8 for the last 4 years and never had this problem. I opened it a couple days ago and out of the blue I can no longer save a project, new or already existing. I get this alert everytime...

1899556998_Screenshot2012-09-27at8_46_30AM.png.1a714f1666cb0c4c60b49a2d393615e3.png

I've tried creating new projects and saving them, opening and saving current or new versions of existing files, nothing works.

Specs:

Logic 8.0.2

Mac Pro 1.1

2.66 GHz

RAM 10 GB

Apogee Duet interface

It doesn't matter what project it is, new, old, whatever. I'll create a new, blank project with one empty track and 0 plug-ins and it still won't save. I can hit 'save' or I can type in a name in the 'save as' window and it will display the same alert I included above saying that the document can not be saved as whatever name I have typed in or whatever name the project already has.

Argh... sorry to hear. Well first thing I'd do is upgrade your version of Logic, as 8.0.2 was one of the early incarnations of v8 and still had some bugs. Use software update to update to the latest v8 version.

Meanwhile a couple threads on the topic for you to peruse:

Cannot 'save as' any project- Error code -1

Can't save session [sOLVED]

Hey David,

Am I wrong, but I thought 8.0.2 was the last update for v8 (at least I've never been given an option to update with software update)? I looked at the the threads you included and tried the troubleshooting, but to no avail. What's next? Do I use this problem to finally upgrade to v9 and hope that it gets fixed with the install? But it seems like most of the people with this problem in the thread, "Cannot 'save as' any project- Error code -1" are using v9.1.7. So what gives?

• 2 weeks later...

Eriksimon, I can save just fine in other apps.

It seems something just broke in Logic and it just wont save at all. Any other ideas from anyone? It's a week later and still, I open it up try saving a new project or an existing project, no dice. Same error window everytime.

As I said, this sounds like the infamous ProKit issue.... that affected SL and Logic...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3968

Despite what Apple's notes say.. it also affected people who had already upgraded to SL successfully.. and then for some unknown reason Logic started to fail to save anything several months later. For most people a delete/reinstall of the Prokit available from that link, fixed it for them.

Anywhere. I've tried to save to my Logic folder, desktop, created folders...same error everytime.

...wait...

I just tried saving to my other hard drive...and it worked!

...moved some of my Logic projects to a new folder on the other hard drive and they are saving just fine now.

Thanks for asking that question, n6smith.

Still can't save on my original hard drive. So, is it a problem with the hard drive or something else?

Well, at least I can use Logic again.

It sounds like you have a permissions problem... Have you tried fixing them in the disk utility? I suspect that is what is causing the problem though permissions and the like, can be a real pain to sort out... If fixing permissions in the disk utility, doesn't help let me know as there is something else you can try afterwards.. but the disk utility method is the first one you should try.

Cheers!