No sound from headphones for audio recording, Why? [SOLVED]

Claudia Teh

Hi there,

I am going through lesson 2 Logic pro 9 by David Nahmani, and now on page 68, which is Acoustic Recording.

Everything seems to be connected properly. I can hear the playback of the other software instrument arrangement from my headphones. I can see input of the microphone from the channel strips, I can even record audio, where I see audio waves being documented on the track, but I can't hear any sound of the guitar that I am trying to record through the headphones and I can't hear any sound from the playback of the recording. What did I do wrong?

Would anyone be kind enough to help. Thanks.

These are the gears that I am using:

Mac book pro OS X Version 10.6.8

Logic Pro 9

Edirol UA25 as my music interface

Tone Factor S220 condense mic

Casio PX 100 Digital Piano

Logitech speakers

Sennheiser HD215 headphones

Any input would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks.

Claudia

Hi there,

I am going through lesson 2 Logic pro 9 by David Nahmani, and now on page 68, which is Acoustic Recording.

Everything seems to be connected properly. I can hear the playback of the other software instrument arrangement from my headphones. I can see input of the microphone from the channel strips, I can even record audio, where I see audio waves being documented on the track, but I can't hear any sound of the guitar that I am trying to record through the headphones and I can't hear any sound from the playback of the recording. What did I do wrong?

Any input would be kindly appreciated.

Well, I think output will be even more appreciated, if I understand you correctly. Have you assigned the Guitar track to an output?

During recording, do you have software monitoring engaged? Or are you monitoring directly through the Interface?

Hi Eriksimon,

Thank you for the reply. Haha... That is so funny how you said out put is more appreciated. =D

I set my Interface- UA25 44.1kHz as the output - where you get it from preference > Audio > Output. Does that count as output assigned?

There isn't any output shown in the right channel strip in the inspector, when this acoustic track is selected particularly. =(

What do you mean by software monitoring?and monitoring directly through interface?

I have my microphone, piano and speakers plugged into the interface and the interface to my mac. No any other hardware.

Cheers,

Claudia

I set my Interface- UA25 44.1kHz as the output - where you get it from preference > Audio > Output. Does that count as output assigned?

Yes, that's good, but it's not what I meant.

There isn't any output shown in the right channel strip in the inspector, when this acoustic track is selected particularly. =(

Ah. Well, that's it. Assign an Output right there.

171782949_pic2012-09-28at16_40_59.PNG.0540481ddb3bcec675ed1ba2c0fbb71a.PNG

What do you mean by software monitoring?and monitoring directly through interface?

When recording, the signal goes from your Mic to the Interface to the Mac into Logic. There it would stop, unless you engage Software Monitoring; then it travels through Logic and back to the assigned output of the track and you will hear the signal with any plugin effects that may be in the signal chain. Direct monitoring is purely on/in your interface, it sends the input signal straight to the output without going through the computer. The advantage of that is that you have the least Latency that way. Disadvantage is you can't hear any effects.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26section=5%26tasks=true

Hi Eriksimon,

Thanks for your reply and for the education of software monitoring. =) Appreciate that.

The left side channel strip where the name on a blue background is whatever I call it, in the inspector has already got a stereo output, However, not the right side of the channel strip, where the name on a yellow background is called output.

So, which means I have actually already assigned the stereo output while I was following the instruction of the Logic Pro 9 book.

What might go wrong?

I remember in the past I use this before and have managed to have sound.

Regards,

Claudia

958212773_Screenshot2012-09-29at5_04_24PM.png.b6bad75712c1ece0e1ef1ebce8125ac6.png