Help setting up remote templates from Access Virus T1

Perspex People

I've been trying to figure out (in vain) how to map a remote template to one of Logic's instruments. I'm following the steps posted in a thread from infekted.org however I cannot get the assignment I make to actually change the parameter I map it to. I know there are some users here using the Virus T1 and wondered if any of you would be good enough to help out here. I'm also happy to make a video and post it online for all to access if I find a solution to this, as there is very little info around that I can find.

Here is what I did

1. Insert an ES2 on an instrument channel in Logic

2. Cable that channel in to a monitor in the environment to get the correct midi string - in this case for the filter cutoff I see F 2 31 and for resonance F 2 32.

3. I then created a new remote template using VC and named it and saved it.

4. I then clicked the cutoff knob in VC give it a name and entered BF 02 31 * in the 'midi string' data field. The text above says: Control Change Ch 16, 2 49, Value

5. Select 'Disable Midi channel' ( as I note the F entered above makes the midi string refer to ch 16)

6. Put Virus into Remote mode then try to use the cutoff knob on the virus to control the cutoff on the ES2. It doesn't work although I do see logic receiving the sysex string in the transport.

7. I tried rebooting Logic and the Virus.

Am I doing something wrong? I've been all over this forum and also searched infekted.org for hours however I cannot find any more information. I'm sure it must be something simple that I am doing wrong. If anyone would be so kind as to shed some light on this for me I would most appreciate it!

Also I do not have my Virus connected with midi cables. From what I have read I should be able to do this with the standard USB connection, is that correct?

Thanks

Derek

Am I doing something wrong?

Yes. The "F" you see in Logic is not an hexadecimal value, it describes a type of event: the "Fader" event, which is NOT MIDI. It's a Logic-exclusive language, no other app/device can generate Fader events, only Logic. You would have to generate some kind of MIDI event with your remote template, then in your Logic project have a transformer turn that kind of MIDI event into the desired Fader data.

David, thanks again for the insight! Seems my quest to control Logic, despite the gear I have in the studio is FAILING! I noticed that of all the templates that exist already in the Virus there is nothing for Logic. I think this must be why. I'm not totally sure how I could get the Virus Control can do this however I wonder if anyone else here who uses the Virus can confirm if they have managed to do so?

What would you recommend for controlling Logic David? Been looking at the new Machine but still not seen it in action to know how the controllers map. I would prefer something which is quick and intuitive and doesn't interrupt my workflow! The other option which have been recommended are Novation. I believe the Akai products dont automap....

Thanks

Derek