Audio files recorded are slightly out of time on playback!

bmacmusic

Hi Folks,

My first time posting. I've been using logic pro for a number of years now, currently working with Logic Pro 9 version 9.1.6.

I have a 2 x 2.8ghz quad core intel xeon Power Mac with 8gb of DDR2 Ram.

I am using a Fireface UFX interface.

Just recently i've noticed a small delay of recorded files upon playback.

When I zoom in on the audio, it has been slightly displaced and am not sure why, or what has changed, haven't been experiencing that problem at all, and now suddenly I am. Have been running more plug ins than usual, bigger projects. Found that the recording delay slider was set at 28 samples for some reason in the audio preferences...but, changing that back to zero hasn't made a change, I thought for sure that was it. Any thoughts? thanks! Brian

Thanks Eric!

I did reset that slider to 0 but for some reason i'm still experience the delay. I'm also experiencing much higher latency than usual. If i'm running my guitar through my 6176 into the UFX and using a amp simulator or another effect it is unplayable. With the slider set to zero and the buffer size at 256 it calculates that I have 15.5 ms of latency. I know for a fact it wasn't always this way, I recorded some guitars the day before with the exact (seemingly) same settings, signal path etc, and had virtually no noticeable latency. Not sure what has changed. This could also be in a new project with only one track running, no plugs on the master bus.

15,5 ms round trip sounds right to me.

Only the buffer size in and out will be around 11,61 ms @ 44,1 kHz.

Depending on your firmware and protocol the UFX will have an internal buffer of between of about 3-4 ms. (Last I measured it it was 149 samples @ 44,1 kHz = 3,38 ms. )

Did you previously record at double the sample rate? 88,2 or 96 kHz?

Did you previously monitor through the UFX instead of through Logic?

Hi Eric..

I have done a fair bit of recording at 88.2. Only recently have I had need to use some plug ins for guitar tones etc, i've always used Logic as a basic tracking software. So, it could be that, although, I have done some tracking while monitoring through Logic with plug ins engaged and not noticed any latency. Heading to the studio, will do some more testing and get back soon. Thanks so much for your help. Bri