What scale / mode is this?

Just look at the (recurring) melody of the verse:

There's - a - fog - up - on L - A

c - d# - f# - d# - f# - c - e

As you can see the first five notes is 75 % of the complete Centigrade chord. Though I guess the "Sheldon Coopers" of this world could claim it to be a Cmb5 chord...?

Bloody hell! Those Beatles would have to get creative and mix some diminished scales into an otherwise great example of a Lydian song! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I see what you mean there, although in a sense, that D# does kind of resolve by the time he gets to "LA".

I haven't heard this song in a long time. It renews my respect and admiration for all the experimenting they did back then. This is still a cool production.

(And yeah, wots a "centigrade"? Sounds like something I had to study in biology class in high school.)

*shrugs* I don't know.

Why.......?

....can you resolve 7th chords in the same way then?

In the major or harmonic minor scale the seventh chord is diminished, so if you do what you describe it would sound like you're resolving to the tonic. That was my first thought when I read your description anyway. This is not the same as a 7th chord though.

I'm probably not doing a very good job of describing what I mean. :oops:

Let me try and put it more succinctly:-

For example, a Cº chord can resolve quite sonically well to either a C# Major/Minor, E Major/Minor, G Major/Minor, A# Major/Minor etc....

It appears to sound similar to a V-I progression, except that it isn't.....and my point is that you can get there with any dimished chord just by raising one of it's elemental notes up a semi-tone and turning it into a new major/minor chord.

Apologies for my pedestrian theory. This is the way my mind works. 8)

I'm probably not doing a very good job of describing what I mean. :oops:

Let me try and put it more succinctly:-

For example, a Cº chord can resolve quite sonically well to either a C# Major/Minor, E Major/Minor, G Major/Minor, A# Major/Minor etc....

OK, that part makes sense....

It appears to sound similar to a V-I progression, except that it isn't.....and my point is that you can get there with any dimished chord just by raising one of it's elemental notes up a semi-tone and turning it into a new major/minor chord.

You're right, it isn't a V chord unless you add the root note. For example, in the case where you're resolving Cº to an E Major, if you stick a B note under the Cº then it becomes a B7b9 which is a variant of the V chord in E major.

But just raising one of the notes in the diminished chord isn't going to turn it into a V chord or into a major chord, unless you add the root note. Is that what you meant? For instance, using the same example where we put a B in the bass, if I change the C in the dim chord to a C#, then you could call it the D# half diminished chord from the key of E. If you add a B note under it, then the whole chord is now B7add9, another variant of the V chord in the key of E.

The reason why I mention it, is because I once read about a trick that Charlie Parker had discovered which involved somehow jumping through some kind of scale related to a cycle of 4ths (or something) thus enabling him to land in any key he wanted. I can't remember the exact science, but after discovering this diminished chord trick (this evening), it seemed like a cool way of perhaps doing a similar thing - of perhaps being able to resolve into a number of different keys just by jumping through the "stargate" that is the mystery of the diminished chord...