How to create this awesome percussive synth sound?

I've been trying for ages to try and recreate a sound similar to this percussive synth sound heard in the beginning of this song:

It sounds a bit like one of the house chord presets in logic...but other than that i'm lost.

I have Massive, Nexus and albino 3 if it helps.

Also, its an awesome song...if your into that.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

• 1 month later...

What I don't understand right from the start is WHY...would you want to copy someone else' sound, when there are a BAZILLIAN Presets in Albino that can do things just as deep, just as textured, and just as interesting?

BTW: Albino has "ARP" presets, meaning Arpeggiate, and the synth at the intro, is definitly arpegiated.

Other than this, I have to ultimately say "who knows" and ultimately "who cares."

Great song tho.

Treatment

What I don't understand right from the start is WHY...would you want to copy someone else' sound, when there are a BAZILLIAN Presets in Albino that can do things just as deep, just as textured, and just as interesting?

BTW: Albino has "ARP" presets, meaning Arpeggiate, and the synth at the intro, is definitly arpegiated.

Other than this, I have to ultimately say "who knows" and ultimately "who cares."

Great song tho.

Treatment

Presets are pretty disgusting. Conceptually, at least.

@OP– not sure what you mean be percussive synth. There's a bongo/conga sample that appears to be run into a sampler, loosely pitched across the keyboard, and played in conjunction with some very muted basic waveform harmonies; I wouldn't really call it a 'synth'.

Treatment, you have said a similar thing in another thread where a poster wanted to recreate a sound. I don't think it is very helpful, because emulating music already in existence is one of the ways that people learn and practice music. As a guitarist, I have spent years working out other people's songs and techniques, because I like them and it helps me get better. I think this is a similar process.

OP, the synth sound is like a muted guitar almost, or has that timbre (is this the one you mean?). I think you could do well using Sculpture. I'm not sure how but it sounds like something achievable with that synth. Not sure about the three you mention. I have messed around with Sculpture and come up with some pretty cool things so you should have a go.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nn4pi4757vpey6w Here is my version of the sound i think you are looking for. i used massive for the sound. I provided pictures of the synthesizer so you can learn how that type of sound is made. Since the other two photos will not load up mess around with the oscillator phases to get a good sound. also env 1 is set to the attack knob just under 9 oclock the attack level full, the decay set to10:30 and the level knob all the way down. let me know if you are confused with anything.

cheers,

apolychr

788504307_MassiveVoicing.thumb.png.433ff5bf7b6f6515a959bf28e986b02d.png

1314544986_MassiveReverb.thumb.png.52cc0643d820bcfd64fa4fcce670db1d.png