USB Hub port thing

hi.... been through a couple of these recently (well... i'm thinking that the one i have is on the way out or no good at least)

It doesn't seem to be working that great, thing's that are plugged into it seem to cut out sometimes, i have to unplug it and put it back in, which is annoying esp if it's internet or something that im transferring stuff on like an ipod.... im thinking maybe it doesn't have enough power? It has a 5v Dc power cable going into it, but im not sure if that's good or whatever...

Was just wondering if anyone knew a decent one for studio use? Preferably 7 ports or more, with loads of power i guess??

cheers!

hi.... been through a couple of these recently (well... i'm thinking that the one i have is on the way out or no good at least)

It doesn't seem to be working that great, thing's that are plugged into it seem to cut out sometimes, i have to unplug it and put it back in, which is annoying esp if it's internet or something that im transferring stuff on like an ipod.... im thinking maybe it doesn't have enough power? It has a 5v Dc power cable going into it, but im not sure if that's good or whatever...

Was just wondering if anyone knew a decent one for studio use? Preferably 7 ports or more, with loads of power i guess??

cheers!

can save you some stress with this as i have jut been through it all myself

i made the mistake of buying a 7-port, thinking mo' ports = mo' power

not so

power gets divided over the 7 ports, but not dynamically....so it's not like plugging one thing in will get all the juice......

the usb ports on your mac have an available current of 500 (mA), and usb powered hubs seem to rate at a maximum of 2A (2000mA)...so on a 7-port hub you have a situation where none of the ports supply as much as the mac.....my drives would tend to mount but then just eject themselves randomly, even ones that were powered :shock:

it was also at the root of some weird sync problems i was having a couple of weeks back

so, getting a decent powered 4-port splits the 2A current between 4 and therefore offer the same power as the mac ports

if you want to check how much power each of your peripherals uses pull up the 'system profiler' from 'about this mac'...then check the usb option on the left...plug in the usb peripheral and you will have a readout of 'current available' (from port) and 'current required' from unit.....

you can check through everything like this

2 things

1) hard drives don't seem to give an accurate guideline for me

2) with each new peripheral i had to exit 'system profiler' and re-open to update the data to the new peripheral

i discovered why i was always having weird issues with my usb keyboard and found out that it was the most power-hungry of everything requiring the full juice

i managed to source a 4-port locally to me in spain and it works great...will be buying another next week for another 4 ports that i need

here is one that i was considering getting before i found it

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/MacAlly/TRIHUB4/

note :

"OWC NOTE: TriHub 4 Port offers full 500mA per USB port (the maximum per the USB spec)."