Instrument is making no sound when audio is being recorded.

metrobot

Hi there.

I have a track consisting of vocals and piano.

Yesterday I was recording and I played some notes on the piano to check my pitches and when i hit record the piano sound would not come through.

It wasn't muted and no other tracks were solo'd, i could just hear the vocal through the headphone monitor.

if i hit play and then record everything is normal. It only seems to happen if I play the piano part from my controller.

I've never had this issue before.

any suggestions?

Cheers

-M

correct.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.

The piano is a software instrument (kontakt)

The vocal is an audio track.

I cant hear the piano when it's being recorded but only if i have played the piano from my controller.

It's fine if I don't touch the piano track but it will sound if i press record during playback.

Anyway after taking another look It seems that if I have the Piano track selected and armed before I hit record it makes no sound.

If i disarm it it works fine but than still arms itself to record (while still selected)...Is that normal and I'm just being daft?

Cheers David

Still confused....

I cant hear the piano when it's being recorded but only if i have played the piano from my controller.

So in which case can you hear it and in which case can you not hear it? And are we talking about playing back a MIDI sequence that was recorded or are we talking about playing the instrument in real time?

It's fine if I don't touch the piano track but it will sound if i press record during playback.

It's fine... but it will sound.... so what does "fine" mean??? :shock:

I have a sequenced piano track.

If I hit record to record a vocal everything works as normal. I can monitor my vocal and the accompanying piano sequence.

If i play my midi controller (to hear the piano just to reference some of the vocal pitches) before I hit record to record a vocal track the piano sound disappears.

Anyway, I saw that the piano track was armed when I hit record so it was not sounding.

sorry about the last posts I guess the don't really make a lot of sense.