Home Recording Beginner: What Hardware Required to Record?

Hello! :)

I have an iMac 2011 2.5Ghz with 8GB ram.

I'm currently in a 4 man band, and we want to record in Logic Pro 9. We have 2 guitars, 1 Mic, 1 bass and drums.

We're going to record the drums via midi on an electric kit (A pretty expensive and high quality kit)

So, what hardware is required to record 4 inputs at once, I already know how to record multiple tracks, I know a lot about amp designs and logic itself (I've been recording my bass+guitar via an auxiliary cable, Yes I know, pretty bad set up ;P)

I'm probably looking at a £100-200 budget, I'm probably getting it during the Christmas season ;)

You'll first need to decide how you're going to record the instruments.

Drums.

Are those acoustic drums? Drums will require more than 1 input, which will in turn raise your input # needs. At the minimum you'll want to record them in stereo requiring 2 inputs, but maybe you'll want 8 or 10 mics on your drum kit, requiring 8 or 10 inputs just for the drums. Do you have the mics?

Guitars.

Are those acoustic, electric? If the latter, do you intend to record them directly into the interface and use amp modeling software, or do you intend to use real amps and put mics in front of them? Do you have the mics?

Then you look for an interface that has the number of inputs and the type of inputs (mic or instrument preamp) needed.

However I'm afraid you won't find much in your budget, so start saving now and ask for help around you, maybe in the forum or Christmas vouchers or something. ;)

Oh ok that simplifies the process a great deal then. So... the drums: what drum controller are you using and how is it connected to your Mac: USB? MIDI Interface? Or do you have yet to connect it, in which case does the controller have a USB connector or only MIDI connector? This will determine whether or not you need a MIDI interface with your audio interface.

But if you are already sorted on the drum side, then you're right, you only need a 4 input audio interface, with 3 instrument preamps and 1 mic preamp. In your price range I would look at presonus and MOTU products and see what they have to offer. That one almost fits the bill, it's missing one instrument preamp: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/4pre

Instrument and mic preamps don't have the same impendance, and plugging an instrument into a mic input would result in an impedance mismatch, which results in an unbalanced frequency spectrum. Also they don't use the same connectors: instrument preamps use unbalanced 1/4" phone plugs while mic preamps use XLR balanced connectors.

Hi James, David is just too pro to know the cheaper options; here are two that I would try in your situation.

The Akai EIE Pro looks nice, has four discrete, switchable preamped inputs and is 24 bits (avoid the not-pro version of this IF, it's only 16 bit, you want to avoid anything 16 bit).

http://www.amazon.com/Akai-EIE-Pro-Electromusic-Interface/dp/B004MZOVKO/ref=sr_du_52_map?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1350628992&sr=1-52

This one is probably the cheapest there is with four switchable inputs, 24 bits, preamps, same config as the Akai. I haven't heard either of those, but I'd expect the Akai to be of better quality than the Alesis, though I have never seen either interface being mentioned here (or at Apples' Logic forum) as being part of a problem, so I assume they work well with Logic.

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-iO4-Four-Channel-Recording-Interface/dp/B004NMVUV4/ref=sr_du_118_map?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1350629056&sr=1-118

Just a little note on the 16bit recording thing:

Yes, if you can afford it, it would be much better to get a 24bit interface. No-one would argue that.

But, studios did record 16bit for years, you just have to be more careful with your levels to avoid clipping.

This is coming from someone who lives in the strange world of having a recorder/inteface that is 24bit standalone, but 16bit as an interface (probably because it's designed to record 4 channels over USB 2). I make myself feel better by reasoning that I need less compression on a 16bit signal :lol:

On the booklet it says you can plug an XLR or 1/4 direct into it? is that not right? http://puu.sh/1gSOK

Also

When recording a guitar or bass with an active pickup, set the EIE Pro's GUITAR / MIC/LINE

SWITCH to "MIC/LINE." If your instrument uses a passive pickup, set the switch to "GUITAR."

What's the difference between passive and active pickups?

And another thing i was wondering, im going to use the MIDI out on the drums and plug it into the MIDI in on the AKAIpro, im not sure what will happen or what i should do in logic? will everything automatically match up on an instrument track with the correct sound? or is there a way to configure what each MIDI signal links to?

Passive pickups are just a coil. Active pickups have an active circuitry with a battery generating power etc... and yield stronger signals. That interface has four preamps that are all switchable between mic, line or guitar, so you won't need a DI Box, correct.

Please ask your MIDI question in a new thread since it's not directly related to the topic of this thread, thanks! Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#4)