Logic Pro 9 64bit workarounds?

bluestarstudios

So almost three years have passed since Logic 9 was released , and still none of the features unique to 32bit mode have been ported to 64bit mode in Logic Pro 9. The list is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3171

I'm mostly talking about Firewire streaming of video, ReWire support and most importantly for me: Export audio to movie. This last one is crucial for me since I work in film. Is there any way of finding out if Apple is even planning on fixing this? And if not, then at least what is the most convenient way of exporting audio to a movie without having to switch between 64 and 32 bit mode?

Thanks

d

I do know that the issue with Rewire is being held up because Propellorheads hasn't got around to updating the engine to 64bit....despite several promises from them that it will be 'along soon". I guess 'soon' can mean different things to different people! ;)

For me the simplest way to handle export audio to movie has been to bounce the project to a stereo (or whatever) wave (or several if needed depending on your work flow..... ) and then load that wave (or waves) into Logic in 32bit mode and export from there as usual. A couple of extra steps but it's a simple solution while we wait for QT to be updated to 64bit too.

Indeed, opening Logic in 32-bit mode still offers the ability to export to the movie file. Not to knock your approach, but I want to present a prospective downside...

Say you have (say) a huge orchestral cue loaded up. After you print your 2-mix, it means quitting Logic 64-bit, whereupon you'll have to wait several minutes (typical) for your template or cue to re-load after you return to 64-bit mode to do further work. But before we get to that...

After quitting Logic you have to find it in the applications folder, configure it to 32-bit and launch it again. Then set the proper frame rate, then open the movie. Then set the movie start time if necessary. Then find the audio file and lay it up on a new audio track. Then export it to the movie file.

If, after exporting the audio to the movie you find a problem (say, a sync discrepancy), you have to reverse the process, and wait a long time to load up the cue again just to re-print it.

The process I outlined in the link provided by David above allows you to keep your current 64-bit Logic session up and running while you add the audio to the movie file right in QT.

FWIW...

Regards,

Ski

Ski,

I 'cheat' a little with my setup as I transfer my bounce to another Mac running Logic in 32bit mode... keeping the original project in 64bit mode, open..

But, having said that....

Somehow I missed your alternative 'method' when you originally posted it and I have to say.. that is a genius workaround!

Thank you so much for highlighting and describing your method. Much appreciated!

Going to give it a go later this week as i do have a large Orchestral score to export.... and see how it works out..

Ski,

I 'cheat' a little with my setup as I transfer my bounce to another Mac running Logic in 32bit mode... keeping the original project in 64bit mode, open..

Eh, I'mma steal that idea if I may... :mrgreen:

Somehow I missed your alternative 'method' when you originally posted it and I have to say.. that is a genius workaround!

Thank you so much for highlighting and describing your method. Much appreciated!

Going to give it a go later this week as i do have a large Orchestral score to export.... and see how it works out..

Aw, thanks man.

If you have any question about what I meant by "the leading edge of the frame" and how to determine it, please let me know.

Best,

Ski

• 3 weeks later...