Logic set up on iMac

MrKat

Hiya folks...

so a buddy of mine has an iMac with only 1 FW800 port.

I was wondering how most of you configure your macs whilst using a FW Sound card and FW LaCie drive....

He says he has experienced dropouts when daisy chaining the 2 devices. He's on 10.6.8 and using Logic 9.1.6

Typically audio interfaces are actually FW400 where as Hard Drives are FW800 so make sure the Audio Interface is the last in the chain. Then the HD will run at FW800 speed and the Audio Interface will not slow it down. If he put the Audio Interface first then everything after it in the chain runs at the lower FW400 speed which could be causing the drop outs he has noticed.

This is what is working for me:

Firewire port dedicated to audio interface (nothing else on that port)

Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptors on both of the Thunderbolt ports. Two 500GB firewire HDs for samples/Virtual Instruments and active project files on one port. Two 2TB firewire HDs for backup on the other port.

No issues with this configuration. I'm doing something similar on a Mac Book Pro (using 2 1TB WD Passport Studio HDs on a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor with a MOTU UltraLite mk3 on the firewire port).

Hi n6smith,

I purchased the adaptors at a local Apple retailer for $30us each. They are the cable with a male TB plug at one end and a female FW at the other end, cable is about 5 inches long (not sure of that length, I'm not in the studio at the moment, so I can't measure one). I got the Apple branded version (didn't want to risk issues even on something as simple as this, you never know with an Apple port...).

When I look at it as a 5 inch cable, it's pretty pricey. When I look at as the functionality it affords, it looks like a good deal.