One controller, multiple instruments [SOLVED]

westremote

Is there a way to use one midi controller to control many instruments at the same time? Basically, what I want to do is have a rack of instruments, then assign different notes on my keyboard to play different instruments. So for example, the lowest octave on my keyboard would play instrument 1 (an Absynth patch), the second octave would play instrument 2 (my drum rack), etc.

I'm pretty sure this is possible.

The way to do it would be to create a new instrument in the environment which you'd then cable directly into the channel strips of the instruments you want to use. Name it accordingly.

Then, in the arrange window you would limit the respective key ranges of each instrument from the inspector panel.

Finally, create a new instrument in the arrange window and set it to the instrument you created in the environment window.

Ah ha! I actually figured it out and it's way easier than I realized. All you do is set the "key limit" in the inspector (you may have to click the little arrow to open it)

81709711_ScreenShot2012-10-19at12_59_59PM.png.3a3d053bbb704904685b68065e5070b7.png

You use that to set the range of midi notes that each instrument will respond to. Then you put all the instruments in record mode at the same time (click the "R"... this can be done easily by grouping them) and voila.

Hopes this helps if anyone else wants to do the same thing =)