Jump to content

Track stops playback with beeping sound


el_chupacabra
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, i've recently noticed a new problem with logic

i've got the latest version and i'm running on an imac 2012, i5 2.5 ghz quad core

also using focusrite scarlett 8i6, all drivers up to date

 

the issue is, shortly after starting to work on a project in logic, maybe about 5-6 minutes,

one of three tracks in my 35 odd track project just suddenly stops playback. after that, nothing

will make that track play again - unless i close the project and open it (save and then revert to saved).

when the project reopens it works flawlessly...for another 5-6 minutes.

This only happens to 3 specific tracks, one housing a sculpture AU and a handful of other AUs, one

with Zebra2 loaded and similar plugins, and one being an output from ultrabeat,

again with 2 or 3 additional plugins.

 

I've tried simply reloading all of the plugins or changing presets in the concerned tracks,

but it doesn't change anything.

 

Regardless of whether logic is being used (playback, editing, etc.) or is merely open with the project

loaded and no action is taking place (for example, if i go to grab something to eat and leave logic open),

one of those two tracks would have stopped working if i take more than a few minutes to get back.

 

Occasionally, the point in time when the track suddenly fails will coincide with playback involving

a region on that track. At that point, the playback of that one track will stall and be replaced by a high pitched (not

loud but shrill) continuous beep sound, almost exactly like the sound you'd get if you configured a synth to

play back an unaltered sine/square wav in one of the higher octaves and held down a key.

This sound will stop when i stop playback of the project. On resuming playback, this track will have

no sound coming from it.

 

All of those plugins used in the concerned tracks are being used without any problems on several

of the other tracks as well. some of the plugins that i use on almost every track are:

-2C Aether Reverb (eats cpu like crazy) or Uhibik-A (eats cpu as well)

-PSP Audioware 84 OR Uhibik-D (another cpu ripper)

-Logic Pro Channel EQ

 

While this problem isn't debilitating, it's very frustrating, can somebody help me out?

 

I'm on OS X Lion 10.7.5

 

i switched from mac to windows for the crash free, problem free workstation...

i'm now crash free, but lion is like the mac equivalent of vista

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I have the same problem, and it's effectively blocking me from using my setup in live preformance.

 

I'm using Logic 9 on a MacBook Air with OS X 10.8.4

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

 

My soundcard is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

 

It works fine in the start, but after a few minutes one of the tracks crashes, and instead starts to produce a high-pitched continuous tone. Most of the time it happens on a track with Essej.net's Sooperlooper-AU, and sometimes on a track with Muxer's Instant Sampler AU. Only way to fix it is to restart Logic, or go into Audio Settings and switch the soundcard off and back on again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem. I recently bought the 'Kensington track ball expert' mouse which I am using with logic 9 pro.

 

Basically, during a session, the playback is interrupted by a short high-pitched beep. We are 99% that it is the mouse causing the problem as we have tried various mice and it only happens with this new mouse.

 

Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Wanted to check in to say that I'm having the same problem. At first, I was noticing it only in sessions that were in Logic 9, but then, it started happening in X. I don't use a mouse (like the guy above).

 

Update: I've read about other people in other forums who experience the same thing and find it to be related to SoundToys Decapitator, which I am using heavily in the sessions I experience issues in. Looks like we may have found the culprit - now, the solution....?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
SOLVED:

 

Just worked out what the problem was - after zooming in closely I noticed there was a very, very small cycle getting in the way.

Cycle might be off, but just move the cycle range to somewhere else or make the cycle range bigger, and playback will work fine.

 

Thank you so much! I was getting really scared I'd have to trash the project I'd just spent so many hours on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...