Cutting regions containing modulation data

Jonik

Hi guys,

If I have a region with modulation set to 100, say, but only with one node at the beginning the VI will play at that modulation throughout (great!). However, if I cut the region in the arrange window using the scissors (or shortcut) the end region will now no longer have the modulation automation inside it any more as the cut has stopped the modulation from continuing.

Is there a way of stopping this from happening? I'd really like no not have to re-do automation because I didn't cut it on a node.

Hopefully I've made sense, if not I'll post a picture or three...!

Thanks very much,

Jonik

Jonik,

There's nothing to 'stop from happening'.

A modwheel event of 100 is a one-time-only instruction saying "set the modwheel to 100 now".

Logic is set up by default to chase CC#1 (modwheel) events, meaning that if you started playback at the top of this second region, it will output CC#1 = 100 anyway. However, this doesn't always occur 100% properly. So if you want to ensure that this instruction is repeated at the top of a new region you must insert another one.

Damn. That's a shame. Seems like something that should happen really (at least the way I use it). If the line is cut, create a node at the line and keep going, rather than removing it as the case is.

I've had quite a few regions that have had a second or so of modulation missing before the next node is reached resulting in a glitchy note, or cymbal roll misprint, or whatever. Ho hum...

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Jonik

It's fairly easy to add your own node. Do it before cutting the region, by clicking on the modulation line to the right of where you're about to cut. I recommend keeping the Event list open so you can see where your events end up and easily double-click their position and type in a new more accurate position.

Keep in mind that no matter how obvious it is you think it should work, there are other users for whom it wouldn't make sense and that would think it's obvious it should work some other way. IMO the way it works right now make much more sense than the way you wish it would work - but it obviously all depends on the application.