Experiencing MIDI feedback with external instrument [SOLVED]

Play

Hello. I am new to working with external instruments with Logic. I have a Roland MC909 connected to a MOTU 828 via MIDI. I am experiencing notes hanging and endlessly repeating, like a MIDI feedback. I have to keep unplugging the OUT from the MC909 to stop it. I am wondering if anyone has any clues how I can resolve this. Thank you!

Great, thank you very much for that.

Now can you describe all the MIDI and USB/MIDI connections on your system? Are there other MIDI devices, synths, samplers, controllers, etc... that are turned on that you could try powering off to start troubleshooting? Or does the problem still happen with only the MC909 connected?

If the problem disappears when you unplug the MIDI OUT from the MC909 then it sounds like it could be a setting in the MC909 that mirrors the data on its input, acting almost like a MIDI Thru?

Hi David... Once again thanks a lot for the help!

I have the Mackie MCU Pro control surface and the Roland GAIA synth both connected via USB. The MC-909 is the only thing in my system connected via actual MIDI cables and it is connected directly to my MOTU 828. I have all of this set up in my Audi MIDI Utility app with the virtual cables connected from the MC-909 to the MOTU.

I just tested by powering down the my other MIDI devices and the problem does persist with only the MC-909 connected.

Really my main concern is to be able to put my external MIDI track in Logic into touch mode and write automations from the MC-909.

Here is a snippet from the MC-909 manual on the MIDI transmit section. Can you help me decide what may be on that should be off?

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/PlayDet/Screenshot2012-10-21at124107PM.png

I found that the "Soft Through" setting was ON... So with your comment in mind, I figured this could be my problem so I turned it off and it seems to have solved that problem :) GREAT

I tested writing automations by putting the external MIDI track in "touch" mode and it did not work. Any thoughts on that?

These are the MIDI transmit settings on the MC-909:

Transmit Program Change: ON

Transmit Bank Select : ON

Transmit Active Sensing: ON

Transmit Patch Edit Type: TYPE-CC

Transmit Edit Data: ON

Soft Through: OFF

I found that the "Soft Through" setting was ON... So with your comment in mind, I figured this could be my problem so I turned it off and it seems to have solved that problem :) GREAT

That's exactly the setting I was thinking of... so as you say: GREAT. Your issue is solved.

I tested writing automations by putting the external MIDI track in "touch" mode and it did not work. Any thoughts on that?

Can you please start a new thread for that question? That way I can mark this thread as solved and we can move on to your new question in a new thread. Thanks.