Learning how to remix

Hey all,

I want to learn how to properly remix a song. Like tips and tricks in taking a song that you don't have the stems for and figuring out ways to chop it up/re-arrange into a bootleg, mash up, or completely new song.

Does anyone out there recommend any online tutorials or books regarding this subject?

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

"properly" remixing a song usually involves working with the stems. There are a few good courses on that subject. Simon Langford has a book called The Remix Manual, which also includes an online logic project (many projects actually, as he takes you through the various stages of a remix from start to finish). There is also an online and/or DVD course from Fader Pro (Vincent DiPasquale) called The Art of the Remix. Fader Pro also has a good Ableton course.

For tutorials on bootleg remixes (where you don't have stems), I would scour YouTube. There are many videos on doing mashups and remixes, particularly in Ableton.

• 2 months later...

there is a GREAT tutorial on remixing in logic from dance music production...

just google "dance music production remixing" and you will find what you're looking for...i have this tutorial on DVD and must say that it is a very good tutorial on how to remix a track from beginning to end...

• 11 months later...
You need the stems...I’ve done a lot of remixes and I have a couple of ways I like doing them , sometimes I take out their drums or sometimes I take out all synths...I always keep the vocals and I always try to keep 1 more original stem from the song , however I will add effects or chop up and manipulate the vocals or whatever else I chose to keep ( if I see fit ) . But in reality it’s your interpretation of the song , so have fun and explore , doing remixes is the best time to explore synths or turning knobs or what happens if you add effects to different tracks

Archived