studio horns ADSR

mmb

Trying to use the studio horns within Logic, and i cant get any notes to sustain longer than a few seconds.

I upped the ADSR (specifically S) to as long as it can go and still it cuts off after a few seconds (actually these settings seeming to have no effect on length of time the note is played at all). The mod wheel on my keyboard affects the length as well - the higher the value, the shorter the note and vice versa.

Im still new to Logic/synths in general so if this is obvious please let me know, thank u

Hi mmb,

Can you update your signature with the relevant details please?

Please check out the Forum Rules before posting. Specifically, check out Rule #5.

Also, would I be correct in assuming you are using the ESX24 plugin? If so, there are 2 sets of envelopes. Make sure you are making adjustments to Envelope 2, as that's the one that affects the amplitude.

Ok my info is there.

Yes im using the ESX24 plugin and I set both envelopes as you suggested already

Any other ideas? It doesnt sound like a glitch or bug it sounds natural like its supposed to happen but id like to extend how long the note can play (to be longer)

A sample is an audio recording. It therefore has a beginning and an end. Envelope are just controlling the playback volume of the audio recording, but even if your volume is all the way up for 10 seconds, if your audio recording stops after 1 second, then there's nothing to playback after 1 second.

A way to extend the length of the sample is to loop it. In the EXS24 choose View > Zone Loop to see your loop parameters.

A sample is an audio recording. It therefore has a beginning and an end. Envelope are just controlling the playback volume of the audio recording, but even if your volume is all the way up for 10 seconds, if your audio recording stops after 1 second, then there's nothing to playback after 1 second.

A way to extend the length of the sample is to loop it. In the EXS24 choose View > Zone Loop to see your loop parameters.

Makes sense, all this software synth stuff is new to me so i didnt think of that. I found the Zone loop - it works good enough if you get the numbers right.

One question tho - when im in Zone Loop and i press one key on my midi keyboard, but press it multiple times, how come each time i press it the selection moves to one of either 3 keys (playing the same note). Right now i have to edit each one, doesnt seem right. And the changes i make in Zone Loop, do they get saved to the actual ESX24 sounds just for the project?

Thanks so much

edit: i think i found the answer to my first question. Is it to simulate a "real situation"? Because even the same note is played, they're each different lengths.

• 5 years later...

MMB; “Trying to use the studio horns within Logic, and i cant get any notes to sustain longer than a few seconds.”

I believe the problem with the sustained notes stems from which articulation is being used. The new Studio Horns start with a default articulation of “Expressive Medium” which does NOT loop. The only articulation that is looped by default in Studio Horns is labeled “Sustain”.

Whether your using the Studio Horns instrument interface or an actual instance of EXS24 (which underlies the official GUI, the these articulations should respond to any of the new ways of accessing/programming Articulation IDs.

BTW, I’ve posted some of my experience with the LPX 10.4 Studio Horns here> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136387&p=698883#p698883