Output MIDI data from plugin to Max/MSP [SOLVED]

stevenGelineck

Hi there,

This is my first post so go easy on me :-)

I would like to send MIDI data from Logic to an external program on my computer (Max/MSP). I set up an instrument in the environment (in the mixer) and connected the output from an audio channel to the instrument. The instrument ("RouteToMax") is set to the IAC Driver Bus 1. I am able to receive MIDI CC messages in Max/MSP when adjusting volume and pan, but not when adjusting for example the frequency of a low pass filter. I tried to connect a monitor and it seems that some data is flowing when I adjust it, but it is not received in Max/MSP.

In the monitor it shows the following messages: "F 2 0 74", "F 2 0 75", "F 2 0 76", "F 2 0 77", and so on when I adjust the frequency. See image..

So, my question is: Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to send this data out of Logic to an external program like Max/MSP? (and maybe guide me to how it can be done).

I am building an external user interface for mixing using a touch screen and would like to synchronize data - eventually I would like to update the external interface when adjustments are made in Logic, so I have the possibility to control in either the interface or in Logic. Also I would like to eventually handle automation in the new interface, which is why it would be great to be able to send any changes to the interface.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Best,

Steven

MIDI_fromLogic.thumb.jpg.354358fda37da168adf7075c97a96854.jpg

Stick a transformer object somewhere between the channels strip object and the instrument object, double-click it and configure it like this:

178274092_fadertocontrol.png.0d7bf1f4ac9073e397ff631e1cbf5f28.png

This will convert the fader messages (that's why you see an "F" in your monitor) sent by the plug-in to control change data that Max will understand. Fader messages are like Logic's own CC messages...but that only Logic understands.

J.

Woah! This actually helped me fix a totally unrelated problem. I was trying to find out how to convert a fader signal to a continuous control signal so I could control 2 different environment objects with one fader, and boom, there it is. Thanks Jordito.

Sorry stevenGelineck, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. Carry on, and let us know if this solution worked for your situation as well.

Wow... amazing. Worked like a charm. I am now able to receive MIDI CC messages in Max/MSP.

Thank you so much for your help jordito!

However, if I have more plugins on one audio channel (for instance a high pass filter), I receive exactly the same MIDI CC message when adjusting the frequency of the low pass filter as when adjusting the frequency of the high pass filter. Namely: "177 0 74","177 0 75","177 0 76","177 0 77" and so on. When I look at the monitor there is a difference, as the first value is 2 and 3 respectively (see image).

midi_transformer.jpg.dd73e273f0044f40c76a5d487fafa2be.jpg

Do you know if there is any way of using the transformer object to somehow change the first value of the output CC message based on the first value of the displayed message in the monitor object after the transformer object... wow, that was a long sentence.

In the monitor there is a change when adjust high/low pass freq.: "2 0 74" and "3 0 74", but when it turns up in Max/MSP it gives me "177 0 74" in both cases. Can the "177" be adjusted based on the "2" and "3" (to for instance 177, 178, 179 and so on) using the transporter object?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Steven

Hi again,

I have now had a closer look at the transformer object (http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/production/using-logic-pros-transformer-object/ is a very good place to start), and I have found a solution that works for me. Since I would like to differentiate many audio channels I have to keep the MIDI channel the same for each audio channel. Using the transformer object I managed to set the output control number ("Data Byte 1") depending on the incoming "Channel" by changing the routing (the three lines from input to output). The solution was to route the "Channel" of the input to the "Data Byte 1" of the output.

Thanks again for pointing me toward the transformer object!

Cheers,

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Archived