Adding an echo only to a small selection of an audio track

reflectingme

Hi All

I have an audio track of my daughter Heather, singing. I want to experiment with effects on her vocals etc, and there's one place in the song she sang where I would like to add an echo - but only to a single word!

I am guessing I will have to extract that small 2 second clip and place in a new track, and then add echo to that track only? Is that the way it is done? Can someone advise of the correct method to achieve that please, many thanks.

Also, is there a quick keyboard command that will allow me to easily match the end of one clip of audio to the start of another clip of audio? I am finding I have to zoom right in and then make fine adjustments to the sections to line them up when I am sure there must be an easier method.

Thanks all.

Route one of the sends of your audio track to an unused bus. An "aux" channel strip will be created in the Mixer - this is where you should insert a delay plugin. Set the "dry" level to 0% and the "wet" level to 100% in the plugin.

On your vocal track, automate the send level to that bus so it is turned up at the start of the place you want to add the delay, then turned down afterwards.

As for your other question, I don't think there is a command to do that. However, if your regions are a "sensible" length - for example, exactly 2 bars, or 1 bar and 3/4 beats, then you can use the "pickup clock" command to move the start of the region to the playhead. If the region you want to move is two bars long, highlight the next region, move to the start of it (shift-return), rewind two bars, highlight the region you want to move and then pickup clock.

Hope this makes some sense!

Also, is there a quick keyboard command that will allow me to easily match the end of one clip of audio to the start of another clip of audio? I am finding I have to zoom right in and then make fine adjustments to the sections to line them up when I am sure there must be an easier method.

The key command Trim Region End to Next Region does this.

As for your other question, I don't think there is a command to do that. However, if your regions are a "sensible" length - for example, exactly 2 bars, or 1 bar and 3/4 beats, then you can use the "pickup clock" command to move the start of the region to the playhead. If the region you want to move is two bars long, highlight the next region, move to the start of it (shift-return), rewind two bars, highlight the region you want to move and then pickup clock.

Hope this makes some sense!

Actually, it's a little confusing.

The key command Pickup Clock moves the entire Event/Region, NOT just the region start.

The key command Set Region/Event/Marquee Start to Playhead Position sets just the start to the Playhead.