Automation Quick Access not opening

Afro_Raven

Hi,

I'm using an M-Audio Keystation 88es and I want to use the mod wheel to automate the volume for some orchestral stuff I'm working on. However, when I try to use the Learn Mode (Preferences > Controller Assignments) the function simply won't work. I click 'Learn Mode', the window flashes momentarily and doesn't allow me to register a controller. Similarly, if I press Command-L, I get the little yellow dialog saying "Waiting for incoming messages. Slowly move a slider...." but when I move the mod wheel up and down, Logic doesn't recognise that I'm doing anything.

I know the mod wheel is working for normal mod wheel duties - as a test I opened a jazz organ patch and used the mod wheel which was defaulted to an auto-pan feature and this worked perfectly fine.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help or input, folks!

Afro

Sounds like your control surface preferences are corrupted - but in any case that's not how you're supposed to learn Automation Quick Access.

You're supposed to go to Preferences > Automation, enable Automation Quick Access from the bottom of that pref window and learn your desired controller knob right there.

Right now since your pref file is corrupted, quit Logic, trash com.apple.logic.pro.cs and restart Logic. If you're in Lion or above you'll need to hold Option as you click the Go menu in the Finder, go to the Library folder and the preference folder to find that pref file.

David,

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply. I'll give your advice a try later on and let you know how it goes.

I forgot to mention in my first post that the process you've suggested for using Automation Quick Access I've also tried, with exactly the same result (window flickers momentarily and then refuses to respond to any input). Would that also arise as a result of corrupt CS preferences, or is that down to another reason altogether?

Thank you!

Afro

David,

It's worked. Thank you so much for your response and helping me out. If you ever make the decision to become naturalised as a British citizen, I'll do all I can to get you a knighthood, or at the very least an OBE.

One small thing that's happening though - occasionally, while I'm using the mod wheel to draw in automation in real-time, the connection seems to cut out and the automation line that follows is drawn in completely flat. I've found that if I move the mod wheel up and down very quickly it does reconnect after a couple of seconds but obviously that leaves me with a brief but erratic automation line! Any idea what might be causing it? I'm using the 'Touch' setting (as opposed to 'Latch', 'Read', etc) if that helps?

Again, thank you so much!

Afro

If you move the mod wheel really slowly in touch mode, then it's possible that after a while Logic no longer receives the MIDI events (because you are slooooowly moving from the 78 position to the 79 position for example) and determine that you're no longer "touching" the wheel, therefore returns the automation line to the previous level.

If that's an issue, use latch instead of touch.

Archived