How to amend time signature on a bar by bar basis...?

reflectingme

Hi All

I saw a similar question posted recently but not quite what I wanted to do at one point, so thought I'd ask specifically - despite having done this another way.

I started writing a piece of music using a patch on one of my synths; the patch was in 4/4. I ended up messing with the piece, recording a few chords, a percussion track and a lead(ish), but having played around, then I decided to change it to 5/4 rather than 4/4 and I liked what I heard.

I tried, using LogicPro, to amend the time signature to be 5/4 - which was easy of course, but this moved all the notes out of sequence - obviously - when what I really wanted to do was to insert this extra crotchet to cover the 5th beat - into every bar. There was no way I could do this in Logic, and my choices were to (1) manually amend every bar in Logic or (2) amend the time sig on the synth and re-record.

Is there a way to get Logic to do it the way I wanted? i.e. by inserting a beat in each bar?

Not sure to understand where you are going with this, but have you considered the possibility to slice your track(s) at every bar, then insert between the slices what you wish? And then adjust the time signature to 5/4...

That's what I meant by "amend each bar manually". You'll have to move the slices one by one in order to insert anything.

Not in front of Logic right now, but couldn't you use the Transform Window to assist in this?

Adding to what both Atlas and David are mentioning, couldn't you do something like the following:

- Use the multi-divide feature to cut at every bar with a singe action (I think it's opt+scissors?)

- Highlight all the midi regions

- Use the transform window to increase each region by 1 quarter note

- Slide all the regions over so they don't overlap (I thought I saw a function for this in the arrange window somewhere... something along the lines of "shift regions with no overlap").

Sorry, not in front of Logic at the moment, and I'm not sure that actually achieves what you want, but thought I'd put it out there just in case.

• 4 weeks later...

What I'm trying to do is change the time signature of each channel.

My project is naturally in 4/4. No problem.

What I would like is to run one of my channels at cut time. Is there any way I can make an exception for that single Channel?

It seems that when I change the time signature for that one channel, it applies to ALL channels.

Even after I've protected the other regions, AND locked them in SMPTE .

Just as with notated scores, only one time signature is written for the whole piece at any point in time.

That doesn't stop you writing polymetric or polyrhythmic pieces, you just have to decide the clearest way to notate it.

I've seen and played several pieces where there are different time signatures prevalent in a piece at the same time. Often used for an effect of counter rhythm, or sometimes contrast in time sigs such as 3/4 over 6/8.

I've also played a piece that is scored where the time signature changes bar by bar across the ensemble in a type of catch up manner. Superb effect.

Just as with notated scores, only one time signature is written for the whole piece at any point in time.

That doesn't stop you writing polymetric or polyrhythmic pieces, you just have to decide the clearest way to notate it.

I've seen and played several pieces where there are different time signatures prevalent in a piece at the same time. Often used for an effect of counter rhythm, or sometimes contrast in time sigs such as 3/4 over 6/8.

I've also played a piece that is scored where the time signature changes bar by bar across the ensemble in a type of catch up manner. Superb effect.

Hey, I'd love to see that.

In my experience, of course different parts can play different times. Then you have graphic scores, which are outside the realm of midi as it is in Logic.

But different time signatures written as such in a score? Sounds like an absolute nightmare for the conductor: "ok, let's go from the cello's bar 67; that's the second quarter rest in bar 54 for first trumpet, for second viola that's... etc. etc...