monitor same track during pre-roll? [SOLVED]

nathansu

Hi, I'm a convert from ProTools and trying to duplicate something I used to do there. I'm recording an audiobook. Frequently, I make a mistake reading and need to stop, back up a few seconds (by draggin the insertion point), and record over the mistake. "roll and punch" as it's called by some. I need a little pre-roll to get into the flow of the text. I know how to set the pre-roll in logic, but the problem is that I can't hear the material already recorded that's leading up to the insertion point - the material during the pre-roll.

This happens whether I select "count in" or "record pre-roll" in the recording settings. It seems like what I'm asking is exactly what "Auto Input Monitoring" is meant to toggle, but selected or not it makes no difference.

I CAN hear all recorded audio while playing, and I can hear audio on OTHER tracks during the pre-roll (software monitoring is checked in audio prefs), but I can't hear audio on the same track. Is it possible to do so in logic?

I realize there are alternative approches: I could record on two tracks, alternating between them at each mistake and sorting it out later. I can also punch in on the fly. But these are not ideal. Setting a punch in point and doing auto punch would work, except that a punch out point is set, too, and I don't know the duration - I want to keep recording until I need to stop again. If there's a way to change the default length of the autopunch selection, that would work.

I know this is all kind of nit-picky, but this process is something I could go through hundreds of times in the course of a book, so saving a click really adds up.

Thanks in advance for any help!

In case it matters: I'm using Logic 9.1.7. My basic setup is a Yeti (USB) mic straight into the macbook pro.

That works. I actually set the right autopunch locator at around 800. That gives me 30 minutes or so without having to adjust it. That won't create problems? I mean, logic's not allocating memory or anything like that based on the right marker? If not, would I be correct to assume that I could set the marker out to, say, measure 16,000? That would be roughly 10 hours, which would accommodate most books.

Thanks again - this is a huge help for me. I was already getting ready to set up an old desktop mac with protools 6 (old) just so I could use this workflow.

Thanks again, David.

sfvo. I just enabled autopunch, then set the punch in locator at the beginning of the audio and dragged the punch out locator to the end. If you keep dragging it to the right of the end, the file will lengthen, adding more time to the length of the file. Drag it out far enough and it becomes a non-issue. When you make a mistake, stop, move the playhead to where you'd like recording to start, then set the punch in locator (I customized the transport bar to include the "set punch in locator" button). Click record. Playhead jumps back and plays pre-roll, track is audible all the while, and when it crosses the punch in locator, the input takes over. Hope that helps.

• 3 years later...

Okay, I know this is a really old topic, but I have tried the solution offered. Logic "lets" me hear the audio only when it wants to.  Most of the time that is not the case.  Can some one help?

-mark

Logic Pro 9.1.8 (64-bit)

OSX 10.11.6

8Gb Ram

Software Monitoring on

Autopunch enabled

Pre-Roll set to 3 secs and enabled

Okay, I know this is a really old topic, but I have tried the solution offered. Logic "lets" me hear the audio only when it wants to.  Most of the time that is not the case.  Can some one help?

-mark

This thread is marked as [sOLVED]. I recommend you start your own new thread and give as many details regarding your problem as possible.