System Overload Errors new problem

carsontm18

First off, I know there are many posts relating to this topic. I have read most of those posts and have read te article on CPU usage in Logic. I am posting this because I have tried many things and still am having CPU issues. I also want to find out if I actually need more RAM before I spend any money.

I've looked up a lot on System Overload Errors so far (actually for about two days now) and have found that there are tons of situations that could lead to CPU spikes from Logic. And to be clear, I am having CPU spikes, not HD spikes, I've checked using Activity Monitor.

As for my current project, I am running several instances of Massive and EXS24. I don't have many CPU hungry plug-ins besides those two as of now (I've been trying to use the built-in effects in Massive). I'm running about 55 active tracks in my project as of right now, but I'm still writing so there will probably be more... I also am EXTENSIVELY using busses, because I know they are a good way to drop CPU loads in Logic. Also, when I run Logic I typically am ONLY running Logic, I quit all programs besides Logic.

Also, I have already read the link you have posted (about 10 times at least). I am using all of the tips that the article says to do and still I am getting CPU overloads. I have reduced the number of voices on all of my instruments to the minimal amount, I have increased the I/O Buffer Size to "1024", set the Process Buffer Range to "Large," I use "Virtual Memory" with my EXS24. I have tried freezing tracks, BUT it's extremely taxing on my workflow because I'm still writing portions of my project. Also, when I do freeze tracks, i tend to just get a heavy load on my HD and then I run into a whole new set of problems.

Oh and a BIG issue, through out all of the forums I've been to, I haven't found anybody with this issue: When I run Logic, even when I run it by itself, I find that Logic is using up to 200% of my CPU! (found using Activity Monitor) Personally I didn't think this was even possible. Does this mean that I need to invest in more RAM?

Thank you in advance for any answers or tips

Ok, I'm running Logic in 64-bit now, it seems Logic is using a little less CPU (using 150-180% compared to 200-220%).

As for the RAM, what would be a good amount of for me to get? Just to put it in perspective, most of my projects are and will be pretty similar to the one I described in my first post. Should I get 6GB? 8BG?

50 tracks (and counting) with plugins and effects on 4G of RAM, and Logic is still running!?

Wow, I am impressed how Logic can pull out from a computer!!!

The 200% CPU you are mentionning is probably related to the amount of RAM Logic and your loaded project is using. When your computer is short in RAM, it compensate by creating a virtual RAM on your hard disk and swaps files/data between RAM and virtual RAM, thus monopolizing resource for that shuttling on your hard disk (while it could be used for other data to be normally transferred to/from your HD), resource from your CPU for managing that data transfer, resource on your RAM...

Another thing to consider, if you don't have that already, is a bigger drive (external one for instance) ideally an SSD one (for its greatly higher performance).

Just by curiosity, what OS are you running on, 32 or 64bit? (I am not talking about Logic, here).

I'm running 64 bit for my OS. I also checked up on the RAM and found that my MBP supports up to 8GB, so I'm gonna go for that as soon as I have some cash... Do you know of any good types of RAM? Like manufacturers? I don't know much about RAM and I don't wanna throw away my money on bad RAM.

And for the external drive, I currently have a USB backup drive but am looking to invest in a 2 TB FW800 external drive soon (I just need to figure out how I'm going to configure my setup since I currently am running an M-Audio Profire 610 Audio Interface through my one FW800 port on my MBP).

Firewire can be daisy-chained, but certain manufacturers, like M-Audio, recommend against that with their interfaces because they "need" the whole firewire bus (lame excuse for badly written drivers).

So you could try going with a FW800 drive that has 2 ports and chain the Profire to that, so you go:

MBP - FW800 - Profire. You probably gonna need a Fw800 to fw400 adapter or cable for the interface.

n6smith, I have a MBP model 6,2 (mid 2010) so I don't have a Thunderbolt port.

triplets, I har started looking at FW 800 drives and I found an ideal drive but it looks like I'm going to have to get a FW400:FW800 adapter (Like you said). I was wondering are there any FW800 drives with just multiple FW800 ports?

Also, won't I still be, in a sense, daisy chaining the audio interface if I'm going to run it off of the FW800 drive, which runs from the main FW800 port on my MBP?