optimal "Processing Threads" setting?

D.D. Jackson

I'm using VE Pro with a very large orchestral template. As I have more than 20 instances within the VE Pro 64 bit server, I've set the VE Pro "Threads per Instance" to 1 (since you're supposed to use 1 thread/processor max, and I've actually exceeded this)...

However, I have no idea what to set the "Processing Threads" setting in Logic Pro itself (I've been experimenting with "Automatic" but have been getting frequent crashes, and am trying to narrow down the cause) - can anyone kindly offer any advice? (with thanks!)

I'm running a 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (early 2009 Nehelem Processor) with 32 gigs RAM, Logic 9.1.8, and have reverted to the previous version of VE Pro Server (released Sept. 15/12)

Thanks for any help!

- D.D. Jackson

Because everyone's system and system setup is slightly different, I'm not sure if anyone can offer a definitive answer. Could be wrong. But that said...

I run VEP also (version 4) and I don't believe I've changed the default threads-per-instance setting. In Logic however... a few months ago I decided to try the setting that offers the maximum number of processor threads (in my case, 16) and so far so good; I'm getting much better performance from my system than when I had it set to "automatic". But I'm running a newer computer than you so it's hard to say if you would benefit or not. Best I can suggest is that you experiment with different settings to discover what gives you the best performance.

The Processor Threads setting enables hyperthreading, where each core is made to handle more than one stream of instructions (so to speak), virtually increases processing power.

Thanks. I guess what I've never understood is the relationship between the "threads/instance" setting in VEPro and the "Processing Threads" setting in Logic Pro. For example, is the idea for me to deliberately use LESS then the maximum 16 I'm capable of using (including "virtual threads") in Logic because some if the threads are devoted to VEPro (based upon its setting, etc.?)

Thanks -

D.D.