Recording onto external hard drive in Logic Express 8.

Kevin V.

How do I record through my computer directly onto my external hard drive? I was told it is hard on my computer to record into my computer. I am planning to record drums, so will likely be recording multiple tracks at once, I just want to make sure I'm not harming my computer or any equipment.

I am running Logic Express 8.0.0. on a Macbook Pro (Mac OS X 10.5.8, Intel Core 2 Duo-2.53 GHz, 4 GB memory). My external hard drive is a Lacie (596 GB capacity, 453 GB available). I have already backed up my computer on it.

I am recording through a MOTU 828 mkII, and a Pre Sonus Digimax LT 8 channel preamp.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

First, update Logic to 8.0.2 thru software update on your mac. The point-zero releases are always buggy.

Make sure your external HD is firewire, USB 2.0 is too slow, don't even try it.

Before you start recording anything do a Save As Project, include "Assets" in the dialog and select your external HD as the destination.

Sure you can, it's called daisy-chaining. USB cannot do that, but firewire can.

Usually firewire HDs have two ports. Interfaces also most likely.

You can go computer-external HD-interface, all on one port.

If the HD is firewire 800 and your laptop has the same port, you wanna put the HD first in the chain, and the motu last.