Bounce in place - selected track greyed out?

Student

Hello,

I'm processing a vocal with Melodyne, and would like to bounce it down and replace the non-melodyned audio region in my project so its still part of the vocal track. I looked up how to use bounce in place, as this seems perfect for my needs, but for some reason the "selected track" option is greyed out? Is it not possible to bounce down a region with the goal of replacing itself? Do I always have to create a new track and drag it up back into the track & delete the newly created track?

It appears the region is muted, simply select the greyed out region and press "m" on your keyboard

For future reference, there are three check point options under the source section of the bounce in place process, "leave" "mute and "delete" select the "leave" checkbox to insure your region does not mute

Hello,

I'm processing a vocal with Melodyne, and would like to bounce it down and replace the non-melodyned audio region in my project so its still part of the vocal track. I looked up how to use bounce in place, as this seems perfect for my needs, but for some reason the "selected track" option is greyed out? Is it not possible to bounce down a region with the goal of replacing itself? Do I always have to create a new track and drag it up back into the track & delete the newly created track?

Interesting. It always seems to be grayed out. The manual says you should be able to choose between two options, but in the screencap shows only one is available and it doesn't tell you why. Puzzling.

You need to marquee-select an area that includes the regions..then it works. For some reason it doesn´t seem to work if the marquee selection is the same length as the the regions(?). So you need to make the marquee selection longer or shorter than the regions you wanna bounce

a.jpg.9b404854217c370e9f773d0be0c775c7.jpg

b.jpg.f2a02e60b8935744c4fc2bef6e3a6b55.jpg

Sorry I completely misread your first post, I thought you wanted to layer the processed vocal with the unprocessed one. After rereading your first post again I don't know how I came of that conception, I obviously shouldn't have a few drinks whilst reading this forum haha

You need to marquee-select an area that includes the regions..then it works. For some reason it doesn´t seem to work if the marquee selection is the same length as the the regions(?).

Hmmm... it works independently of the marquee selection here:

1960859938_Picture2.png.113e5d8c1777c1ec68cf01448929c045.png

However the destination can only be an audio track. If a software instrument or external MIDI track is selected, then the "Selected Track" destination is not available - for obvious reasons.

Only the marquee tool trick works for me. I noticed that it doesn't matter if the end of the selection matches the region but only the beginning has to be slightly off.

So odd! I checked again in Logic Pro 9.0.2 and in Logic Pro 9.1.7 and I can always choose "Selected track" (as long as an audio track is selected), independently of whether or not I have a marquee selection, or where that marquee selection starts or ends. Here I just Option-clicked a region, making the marquee selection start/end the same as the region start/end. No plug-ins anywhere in the mixer.

1686304252_ScreenShot2012-11-05at9_18_14PM.png.ed1f6b0d20731d05d21a546a237b34fc.png

.....and upon further testing, I managed to make "Selected track" grayed out and unavailable!

So far there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Using the same techniques (manually drag the marquee tool OR option-click a region with it then Shift-marquee drag the edges of the Marquee selection to adjust its start and end), sometimes I can make it work, sometimes I can make it not work.

:shock:

.....and upon further testing, I managed to make "Selected track" grayed out and unavailable!

So far there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Using the same techniques (manually drag the marquee tool OR option-click a region with it then Shift-marquee drag the edges of the Marquee selection to adjust its start and end), sometimes I can make it work, sometimes I can make it not work.

:shock:

This is my experience also..sometimes it works, sometimes not.

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this thread, as I've been struggling with the exact same problem. But I have a new added twist.

So I get the same greyed out "selected track" option if I select the regions using either the arrow tool, or the marquee tool using option, but if I drag the marquee selected a little in front of the region I can now bounce on selected track (thanks claesbjo!!) So I set the destination as selected track, and set the source to delete (as I want to replace the source with this new bounce) but instead of deleting the source, I now have the source + the newly bounced region on top!!

Something is very wrong in Logic when it comes to bouncing regions in place it seems. Anyone else replicate this twist? I'm attempting to bounce down multiple regions as one audio track, and replacing those original regions with this bounce just like it says I can in the manual. But so far its been met with nothing but bugs and work arounds. :(

p.s. I too submitted a bug report to logic feedback on this not working correctly.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, all. This is a really old bug (i.e., bounce in place selected region, and replace original file with bounced file). I call it a bug because its described as a working feature in the info in Apple's documentation.

I've been using your workaround, David. I'll try your marquee solution, Eric' — it might be quicker for me. 

• 5 months later...
My bounce-in-place simply doesn't work since the latest upgrade. The playhead simply goes to the beginning position of the region I want to bounce and stays there, like it's stuck. I can still bounce that region (if I solo it and bounce the whole project, then import the bounce as an audio file), but Logic is locked up until I force quit it.

My bounce-in-place simply doesn't work since the latest upgrade. The playhead simply goes to the beginning position of the region I want to bounce and stays there, like it's stuck. I can still bounce that region (if I solo it and bounce the whole project, then import the bounce as an audio file), but Logic is locked up until I force quit it.

Try it in a new, empty project: drag an audio (blue) apple loop from the loop browser onto an audio track. Try bouncing that in place?